scanning old photos... faster options?

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going through back catalogue of old family photos, scanning and uploading to Flickr. The workflow is pretty slow as the scanner at 600dpi takes ages, plus the twain driver needs acquiring for each scan, so that takes a second age.

Anybody have any faster workflow options as I think I'll be dead before I finish.

just curious but what do you mean when you say that the twain driver needs acquiring for each scan ?

One option is to use scanning software that work "natively" with your scanner and doesn't require the twain driver I suppose... that would probably not be free though - something like Silverfast maybe ?

...also it obvious that the scanning resolution will affect processing times - do you really need to scan at 600 dpi ?

Last edited:
Agree...300 DPI has been more than adequate for me :)

I pulled a sheet loading HP scanner out of a skip at work and found it was quite happy to handle photos as well as documents.

At 300dpi, it will scan an 8x6 in about 8 seconds and the driver / bundled software allows multiple pages - all scanned as individual Jpegs as well.

Might be worth a few minutes on Ebay looking for something similar?

Yeah.. maybe 600dpi is a bit on the large side. Even at 300 there would be room for some enlargement if so desired.

I'm using PS and it has a twain driver for the scanner. After a scan is done it closes down so I have to restart it and then it has to do a preview every single time. All I want to do is keep doing A4 scans rather than individual crops. The pics need editing anyway so it's easier to crop, rotate etc in PS.

I'll see if there is some software for the scanner that would let me just keep doing A4 scans.

Last edited:
DOH! :D

<Judgement Reserved> ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom