scanning backlight

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by broono83, Aug 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. broono83

broono83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was reading the LCD FAQ and it was saying about Philips bringing out some sort of scanning backlight (lights one row of pixels at a time or something) about now to help eliminate motion blur. are these out and do other tvs have a similar thing?

also, what is an ambilight? only time i've seen it is on that stupid advert where they make the tv look like its the 50s for some reason :confused:

2. broono83

broono83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    think it was the "aptura" range? any ideas?

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    These models are out, but it's fairly irrelevant, as it is only active with interlaced signals, not progressive or HD.

Ambilight basically lights up the wall around the TV with roughly the same colour as the image being displayed. There are 3/4 versions now - 1.0 had the same colour on both sides of the TV, 2.0 allows left/right to be different, the next ones are 3 sides, and full surround.

I've had an Ambilight 2 TV, and it's a nice effect, but gets distracting (and causes a similar effect to DLP/Plasma "rainbows") but even if it was the best thing ever, it still wouldn't make it worth buying a Philips TV in my opinion.

4. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I could see the rainbow effect with Ambilight 2. The new Ambilight has been re-design in number of ways. No longer see the rainbow effect and for a wall mounted 9731 the light is now better diffused.