• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Scanners Steelbook Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Like a proto-cinematic take on Stan Lee's X-Men, David Cronenberg explored the potential of mutated outsiders with freakish super-powers fighting to gain acceptance in a society that fears and shuns them, and the nefarious attitude that big and nasty organisations would have in recruiting and exploiting such individuals for their own nefarious aims. When it becomes clear that one faction of these so-called "Scanners" have turned to an extremist leader, a telepathic war threatens to deconstruct civilisation as we know it in order to create a new world order.

Cronenberg had already carved a uniquely clinical strain of body horror with Shivers, Rabid and The Brood - what with their potent sexualised angst and hyper violence – but he would gain that first nebulous rung of the intellectual ladder with Scanners, and create a genre highpoint that would...

Read the full review...

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Another fine review Chris. I take it this is a marked improvement on the German release?

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Bugger me looks like more money to spend this does have a certain place in my heart though as it was the first video I ever watched on our old top loader.

MarkyMark70

Excellent review Chris ... Really enjoyed reading your passion for the film. Watched it last night. haven't seen it for years. I couldn't remember the end, so it was nice to see it play out. As for the blu it looks outstanding... Very impressed. As you say in your review, this stands up so well even with the time that's passed. Recommended!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom