Scanner won't work with 64bit 7

KD88

Established Member
Reaction score
My Canon scanner will not work in windows 7 (home premium 64) Canon have said it is not their fault and have quoted the following

" This is due to the key kernel and hardware language changes implemented by Microsoft in their newest operating system release. Unfortunately, Canon can't be held responsible for these changes as they are outside of our control."

I have gone to the Microsoft website for support but can't get any because I built my own system and used OEM Windows. I can't even seem to find a place to e-mail Microsoft for clarification.
Can anyone suggest what I should try next.

Last edited:
So Cannon don't support their products very well.
I bought an Epson printer five years ago, put Windows 7 on a ocuple of months ago and Windows found the driver because Epson worked with them.
I'd be careful about Cannon in the future.

So Cannon don't support their products very well.
I bought an Epson printer five years ago, put Windows 7 on a ocuple of months ago and Windows found the driver because Epson worked with them.
I'd be careful about Cannon in the future.
+1 on that IMO. My Dell printer is more than five years old now. And it works on Windows 7 x64 fine. Had drivers and everything.

Canon were just as bad with XP x64 and Vista x64. They basically didn't want to pay MS to sign 64 bit drivers for legacy hardware (which is why I have an old Canon scanner gathering dust). 32-bit drivers don't need to be signed.

Cannon may eventually release drivers, so i would just keep checking their website for the mean time. You could think about a 3in1 brother printer, scans prints, copies, i have the DCP-150c cheap non-brand inks, space saving, would go for a later model tho. oh less the £50 too!

I highly doubt Canon will produce drivers for old products. They don't generate any revenue any more and therefore producing drivers for a new OS is not going to bring in the cold, hard cash.

I understand that, but what makes other manufactures different? My philips router had about 8 years worth of firmware updates, if a company is worth their salt the should provide reasonable support. But i agree if the scanner is ancient it is beyond reasonable, my experience with philips would certainly encourage me to buy again so choose wisely :) Epson or brother in my experience are quite good, do not touch anything HP!

My philips router had about 8 years worth of firmware updates, if a company is worth their salt the should provide reasonable support.

I suspect your router didn't require 64-bit drivers to be signed and certified by MS :) I should also point you that (in their defence) Canon did produce 32-bit drivers (which don't require certification). This gave me a straight choice of run less than 4GB of RAM and use their scanner or go for the 64-bit option. I went out and bought an Epson 3-in-1 instead.

I suspect your router didn't require 64-bit drivers to be signed and certified by MS :) I should also point you that (in their defence) Canon did produce 32-bit drivers (which don't require certification). This gave me a straight choice of run less than 4GB of RAM and use their scanner or go for the 64-bit option. I went out and bought an Epson 3-in-1 instead.

I've got a canon scanner gathering dust for the same reason.

The newest version of MS VirtualPC supports passing through of USB devices. I know some people have successfully run a virtual 32-bit OS inside 64-bit Windows 7 and been able to use older USB devices on it. Even demanding video capture devices work inside Virtual PC.

Not sure if you can install it on 7 Home Premium though, but it's an option worth considering if you don't use it that often.

Not sure if you can install it on 7 Home Premium though, but it's an option worth considering if you don't use it that often.
You can use Windows Virtual PC if you install your own licensed copy of XP inside a virtual machine. You can't use the MS 'XP Mode' though.

That's interesting because Windows 7 couldn't find a driver for my Epson 3-in-1 which is about the same age. Although I was able to manually add a driver and the printer works when I send documents to it, I still get an "error installing hardware" message every time I turn it on.

Is there any way to fix this?

My Canon scanner will not work in windows 7 (home premium 64) Canon have said it is not their fault and have quoted the following

" This is due to the key kernel and hardware language changes implemented by Microsoft in their newest operating system release. Unfortunately, Canon can't be held responsible for these changes as they are outside of our control."

I have gone to the Microsoft website for support but can't get any because I built my own system and used OEM Windows. I can't even seem to find a place to e-mail Microsoft for clarification.
Can anyone suggest what I should try next.

Have you tried Vuescan software VueScan Scanner Software as this works with a lot of scanners without the drivers being needed.

I also ahve a scanner whcih will not work with 7 64bit, so i'll look into VueScan. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom