Scandisk Alternative?

Reign-Mack

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is there an alternative to scandisk?
I decided to run a surface scan on one of my hardrive its been doing it for over 9 hours and has only reached 5%
Is there a faster alternative to Microsoft's effort as I do not want to be stuck only using the lap top for the next 6 or 7 days...

Reign-Mack said:
Is there an alternative to scandisk?
I decided to run a surface scan on one of my hardrive its been doing it for over 9 hours and has only reached 5%
Is there a faster alternative to Microsoft's effort as I do not want to be stuck only using the lap top for the next 6 or 7 days...

go to www.download.com (or downloads) run by cnet, they have loads of tools and stuff, freeware and trials

mind, if your stuck on 5% after so long, it could be a sign that the drive is knackered

sorry I wanted somebody to recomenf a program they have used themselves... already know about cnet. Once somebody names a product I will got the full program not the trial version.

and yes parts of the drive are knackered which is why I am running a surface scan. but thanks

Reign-Mack said:
sorry I wanted somebody to recomenf a program they have used themselves... already know about cnet. Once somebody names a product I will got the full program not the trial version.

and yes parts of the drive are knackered which is why I am running a surface scan. but thanks

norton utilities has a scandisc program. i've used it in the past and found it pretty good. haven't used it on xp/ntfs tho. i can't think of any other major scan disc type programs

Which OS are you running? Because scandisk isn't available in XP no more.

Singh400 said:
Which OS are you running? Because scandisk isn't available in XP no more.

if you rightclick on your drive in exporer, click on tools and you have "error checking" which is prettymuch scandisc under a new name

unique said:
if you rightclick on your drive in exporer, click on tools and you have "error checking" which is prettymuch scandisc under a new name
Yeah I know about that. But I was specifically referring to the old scandisk found in Windows ME.

unique said:
norton utilities has a scandisc program. i've used it in the past and found it pretty good. haven't used it on xp/ntfs tho. i can't think of any other major scan disc type programs
Many Thanks :thumbsup:

and yes Singh like unique says I am running XP and I am using scandisk, I call a spade a spade.

Diskeeper Pro is very good for scanning and defragging. Much much better than XP for doing it. You have to remember that the speed will be very different depending on whether your disk is formatted to FAT or NTFS, as FAT takes forever

Shaz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom