Scancom line convertor for ACER TV

staresy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an ACER AL2671W and connected via RGB to a sky digi-box. I notice that the de-interlacer in the ACER is not that brilliant and introduces temporal artifacts - makes the image look distorted, especially close up faces etc.

When I connect via component via my DVD recorder (panny E55) and use the DVD recorders de-interlacer to produce a progressive picture the results are a lot better. So the problem I am seeing is definitely due to de-interlacing within the ACER.

I was considering using this external scaler (http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/cypress/cm-348.htm) to take in interlaced RGB from the skybox and to output progressive via DVI to the ACER.

Questions:

1) Has anyone seen the de-interlace artifacts that I am descibing with the ACER?
2) Has anyone had any experience with the scancom scaler?
3) Is this set-up likely to give any advantage over using the DVD as a de-interlacer?

As the ACER was so cheap I really don't want to spend £££'s on a scaler; the scancom one looks OK for £200....on paper at least!

Thanks for your help.
DrS

you wouldnt happen to be getting small vertical lines would you?

No it's more as if the picture is being viewed through a net curtain; a sort of fuzziness, but not the "normal" LCD motion trails.

hmmm,
different from mine then. Mine is fine with everything except my xbox via component. there are small vertical lines present. still havent managed to suss if this is because i havent softmodded so i can use hd options or if its the crapp component to scart cable that came with the tv.
Picture quality in general is good, ven with the little lines in xbox games.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom