1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Scan Hd+ With Panasonic Ae700 Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by broomthundle, May 3, 2005.

1. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Scan HD+ for hooking up to my Panasonic PTAE700 projector. I now have the following setup:

Sky+ to SCAN HD+ with RGBs
    Denon 2910 to SCAN HD+ with DVI
    SCAN HD+ to PTAE700 using DVI to HDMI

I have read other peoples experiences with the HD+ and I would have to say I am not overy impressed with the results I have been able to produce so far.

It does a very good job of being a video switcher so I can feed everything to my projector via HDMIand the audio delay function is really useful too. The picture size adjustment controls are useful for getting the projector image to fit exactly to the screen size.

However, I have to say that the so called improvements in picture quality are subjective at best. I can't say I notice any significant improvement in either the sky+ or the DVD picture quality. I am going to try the latest beta firmware to see if this helps, but has anyone else got any views on this ?

I think I have setup the HD+ in accordance with the instructions, but I have to say so far that I am having difficulty justifying having spent £1000 on a video switcher with an audio delay function.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to try and get the best out of this product, which according the the reviews I have read are supposed to be a superb product.

Many thanks for any help/opinions offered..

2. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have your scaler set up so it has 1:1 pixel mapping with your projector? There's some test patterns built into the iScan to check for that.

Incidentally, the scaler in the AE700 is decent (althogh by no means world beating), so the level of improvement you'll get with a scaler will be modest, but there certainly should be an improvement if it's set up properly.

3. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion - Although I am not quite sure how to make sure I have 1:1 pixel mapping, I have read about 1:1 pixel mapping somewhere, so I will see if i can find where I read about it again.

I will give it a shot and hopefully will see some improvement...

many thanks

4. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a test pattern on the iScan that is made up of 1 pixel width lines. They should be rock-solid if the scaler is doing its job. If they look blury or smudged, then you'll need to spend more time calibrating it.

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Go to OUTPUT SETTINGS/FORMAT. Run down the table and see if any of the figures match the quoted native output of your projector. That'll get you on the right road for 1:1. Test pattern is CHECKERBOARD.

Now I've insulted you with the obvious, I'll offer an opinion that you probably won't want to hear. I've had the HD with 3 PJs and I would say that its greatest strength is making lesser kit look great and giving flexibility with source / display hookups.

I'd say the reason that you don't notice much of an improvement is because there isn't one to be easily had over what you could achieve with the kit that you already have.