Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Scan Converters?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jameson_uk, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I have a Radeon 9200 and plugged everything in via a VGA => RGB scart cable but whilst the PQ was great in general, there was something wrong with the refresh rate and this makes it unusable on my TV. I have tried about 10k setting in powerstrip and now have to admit defeat that my TV (old 4:3 29" Sony CRT) is not up to the job. I can't afford a plasma or LCS screen :( but I am not happy with the quality of the S-Video connection.

I was therefore considering two options:
    1 - Getting a scan converter. This seems to be about £180 and do the conversion between VGA and RGBS and has RGB Scart option. (I was looking ar the Corioscan CS-320 Connect)
    2 - Getting an x-card for RGB output to TV of MPEG files and then getting a tiny monitor to act as control for the rest of HTPC. I have seen a 7" touchscreen for about £180 which looks like it would do the job.

As for (1) I have been told I can get one on a 7 day sale or return basis so I guess I have nothing to loose in trying it. With (2) I guess I loose the ability to output my shared pics on the TV (on of my reasons for having HTPC) so not ideal but if PQ is signigicantly improved then I suppose it would do.

Any comments / experiences of scan converters ??

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Can't understand why you would want to spend £180 on getting a old 4:3 screen working it would not take a lot more cash to get a cheaper make WS 28" that should work with your system, worth looking onto anyway.

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    When I had a DVD or cable box via RGB the actual PQ of the screen was great.

Also a 28" 16:9 screen is a lot smaller than the current screen and I would not really want to go much smaller. If my maths is right, to get the same size 4:3 picture I would actually need a 35" 16:9 TV.

I only really have max £250 to play with so a new TV is not an option

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    It depends on if you are watching WS (a lot of TV is broadcast that way now and in the end it will all be). Your 4:3 27" has more area than a 28" WS but not veiwable area in WS

5. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I've been sitting trying to work out suare roots (stupidly) and just remembered the shere facts the size of a TV is the diaganale therefore by going to a 28" WS form a 27" 3:4 you will get a longer but shorter TV. It will give you a better and BIGGER picture the only time this is different can be with PJ screens

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Not true, the further you go from a square image the less screen area (and therefore size) you get for a given diagonal.
    In the example you have used, the 28 inch widescreen has an area of 335 sq inches, and the 27 inch 4:3 350 :oops:

P.S. a 27 inch square grows to 365, and a 27 inch widescreen would be only 311! - ergo, more than happy with my 26 inch 15:9 set once it is setup and scaled properly - you are right about everyone going widescreen though as it is more watchable :)

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He actually said his old TV was 29" not 27".

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Yeah spent a while trying to figure it out but I think a 29" 4:3 which is what I have has 403 sq inches which is about 20% more screen area that a 28" WS set (the actual true dimensions are all going to be less this is about right)

Point taken about most stuff being in WS though as I guess I loose a load of the screen anyway. I have just sat down and worked it out I think :confused: and I reckon @ 16:9 my actual picture size would be 302 sq inches so yes a 28" WS set would actual give me a bigger picture for WS stuff.

This however does not address the issue that I only have max £250 to spend and in order to even get a 28" WS TV with as good PQ as my current TV, I am going to have to spend more than this.

:lease: anyone actually got a respone to the original question :lease:

9. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210

Sorry that what I was trying to say in my round about way