1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scan Computers - problem!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by UrbanT, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Something quite unbelievable has happened to me this week.

Before Xmas, a friend asked if I would rebuild his aging PC from the ground up. Looking at his machine, the only items worth saving were the case, floppy and harddrive.

I ordered the relevant parts from Scan Computers (as I have done on several previous occasions without problems). Unfortunately, after building the machine, it would not boot. Testing the parts on my own PC, it was apparent the motherboard was at fault, the motherboard was an Abit KD7, value £35. I rang Scan to get an RMA, and asked their adviser which board would make a suitable replacement, he advised an Abit VA-20. As I wanted to build this for my friend in time for Xmas, I ordered the new part immediately, even though I had to pay a new delivery charge.

The VA-20, after some initial problems of my own doing (namely not reading the manual properly :blush: ), worked fine.

Fast forward to Scan collecting the KD7 on the 4th January, I received an email from them yesterday. The email stated that although the board was faulty, no refund would be given as it was not the board they had sent to me???

I have to say at this point, that there is no way that this is possible. My own PC has an Abit NF7-S motherboard (I’ve checked, its still there), I have no other components in my house.

I rang Scan immediately to query this, thinking there is a simple problem somewhere. After waiting 20 minutes on their 0870 number, I finally got to talk to someone, who said they would check the problem with the sender of the email (I was not allowed to talk to that person), and they would call me back. I received a call back a while later, the conversation was along the lines of,

I was by this stage getting angry, and decided it was best to end this call by asking for the name of the person I direct a written complaint to. What made me most angry, was that there was clear inference here that I was trying to do something dishonest. Perhaps swap an old part for a new one. There was absolutely no acceptance that just perhaps they may have made a mistake. A few people on the board know my background, career and so on, its not very likely I would try and defraud a company for £35!

There are only 2 possible explanations for this situation:
    . they sent out the wrong motherboard
    . they mixed my return up with another at the RMA centre

There is actually a real irony here. When I received the board, it looked odd. The box was old, worn and slightly tatty, and the way the contents were packed just didn’t seem right. When I rang to RMA the board, I mentioned to their adviser it looked 2nd hand. He checked on their system, and said that it was a brand new board, but had been in their warehouse for a long time. My gut instinct was that it didn’t appear right.

Secondly, and more painfully, I had the board over the whole Xmas period, as Scan were collecting on the 4th January. I did manage to get it to boot once, so tried to investigate the problem. I spent hours researching the KD7, and finally found an article on the Abit website about this boards Overheat Temperature Protection system. Apparantly, its prone to read the wrong temperature from the CPU on boot, and therefore refuse to boot. This is proved by removing the CPU, boot the machine for 10 seconds (to reset the OTP), then replace the CPU. This did work, and the board booted a few times before refusing to boot again. Reset the OTP, and it booted correctly a few more times before refusing again. So I spent hours diagnosing the problem to help their returns, and then get this kick in the teeth.

Although its only a small amount of money, I have no intention of letting this matter drop, as this is now a question of my honesty. If anyone has any similar experience of this company, I would be very happy to hear from you. In the meantime, I have a lot of letters to write. :thumbsdow

2. mambojambo

mambojambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry to hear about your problem UrbanT only thing i can say is it is common knowledge that scans aftersales service is VERY poor i have spoken to countless people over the years who have had major problems just like yours:(

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    I've only ever had problems with scan sending out the wrong item and years ago a bunch of people at work specced some pre-built PCs which turned up with different motherboards in them and had been badly put together ( cards hanging out , dodgey modems ).

I myself use Scan quite a lot , mainly because they are cheap.

It sounds as if they have dealt with this very poorly indeed and are making you carry the can for incompetence at their end.

Are they sending you the faulty board back? They should do.
    Are you sure they haven't mixed up the serial numbers of the KD7 and the VA-20?

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    I also use Scan because they are cheap, and up to now have had no problems.

Their adviser said all they could do was send the board back to me, but whats the point at this stage? It doesn't work, I have no use for it even if it did, and I want it in their possession for when they receive my written complaint.

As for the serials, although I picked up their email at work so haven't got it to hand, they said it was a KD7 serial, just not the right one

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I ordered from Scan just before new year and had to chase the delivery a week ago Friday. The advisor said it would be shipped that day. Later that night I got an email from Scan to say one of the items was out of stock so delivery would be delayed by a week (it was still in stockon their website). On Monday I got an email saying the order had been dispatched.

Scan are obviously in complete turmoil as they dont even know what theyve got or when its coming in. And you think they really record all the serial numbers?

LMAO

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I preffere overclockers.co.uk the do not accept emails and only deal with problems over the phone.

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    lol - dont get me started on overclockers.co.uk

8. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I travel to salford uni every wednesday so sometimes use Scan, and work in stoke so am 15mins away from overclockers.

In my opinion I prefer dealing with overclockers.

I did buy a full build from Scan some 4years ago which now with only a RAM upgrade runs XP and old counterstrike with no real issues, so thats a good point.

However just after that I got a graphics card like a £300 one (this was 4 years ago) delivered to my door! I never ordered it, neing honest I took it back and they gave me £5 worth of CD-Rs, feel sorry for the person who it was meant to be for though.

Overclockers can seem to be blunt sometimes, but they seem to only stock good components whereas scan do stock s*** sometimes, and also I am aware they are not very good with mobo recommendations. My machine was delayed in build due to mobo compatability problems. I prefer ASUS over Abit.

9. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ...did you buy this using a credit card?

You may have recourse through that means...

D

10. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    About a year ago I fancied trying an Asus P4R800 mobo, an Intel based matx with onboard ATi graphics thinking it might make a reasonable HTPC board but would initilally use it for the wifes pc, built it with a 2.4c and suitable ram etc, over the following couple of months the wife used to regularly complain that the machine would crash so I went through the process of swopping ram, psu and eventuallt the chip as well before RMA-ing to Scan. They found a fault (eventually after having the board for 2 weeks) by which time I had already ordered a replacement to get the wife up and running again.

The replacement board sat around unused for a month before a friend asked me to build a pc and I figured this was suitable, ordered the components and upon starting to fit them observed that theis replacement board was blatently used, there was silver paste around the processor mount etc. I had loads of trouble with the xp install, took a couple of attempts to get it loaded and even then it ran real slow, swopped some bits with other working amchines to conclude that this "used replacement" was faulty. Phoned Scan and shouted a lot and they sent Citylink to collect it. They email a couple fo days later to say that they have tested it and found no faults so I had to pay to have it redelivered. Begrudgingly I agree but again have by now finished my friends machine with a replacemnt.

Another couple of weeks pass and another chance to use the mobo comes up, again I order ram and a processor to use the board that I have paid to have returned, and again run into probelems with the new xp install freezing as before, I email Asus and expalain the situation with them and the problem with Scan not finding fault and ask if they can test the board, they say that I have to deal with the retailer, phone Scan and "reasonably" calmly try to explain to the technician the story. They suggest that I send it back at my expense and they will test it again, I do and again they find no fault......I had used components from my working pc and in this board they dont work, but my Asus P4P800 they are fine.....Scan then want to charge me to return the board to me at which point at tell them to keep it as why would I want a board that doesn't work even if they say it does..... :suicide:

I'm no mug when it comes to computers, I build a couple of dozen a year for friends and customers, I wont be buying components from Scan again.

11. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I sympathise with your situation

I have been there also with various companies Scan.Ebuyer,Overclockers

All these companies are the same "Internet presence ,cheap prices "but god help you when you have a problem :mad:

Sometimes paying a little extra at a local computer shop or even dare i say it Pc world maybe the best choice

12. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have to disagree, I have bought thousands of pounds worth of gear from ebuyer in the last couple fo years and returned many, either mis-ordered, DOA, fault under warranty and other than a few issues with how long it took to agree the return at the end of last year (although they did have an announcement on there homepage to the effect that they were tempoarily short staffed in that area and were in the process of employing more people and catching up) I have found them fair and honest and never had an issue. I know people dislike the enote system and its definitly not worth phoning them, but at least if its DOA you can send the item back for a refund and order a replacemnt in the meantime or wait if you prefer.

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I think there is an important aspect here. When you buy anything mechanical or electrical, there is always a chance there's going to be a problem. Thats life.

The point here is that this company have clearly questioned my honesty, and just shut the door in my face. That is unacceptable.

As an example of good service, I drive a Seat. Not an expensive or prestigious brand in anyway. I've had several problems with the car which so far has cost Seat an estimated £9000. Thing is, I'm not angry in anyway. You know why? Because they have bent over backwards to resolve the problems, and look after me for the short periods my own car has been off the road.

14. wesleyaldred

wesleyaldred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced. We have been investigating the issue here ourselves.

All ABIT motherboards are purchased from ABIT directly and as such we emailed them asking for confirmation that the motherboard in your possession was sold by Abit to Scan, this is the reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: 17 January 2005 16:29
    To:
    Subject: RE: PROOF OF SELL REQUEST.

This board was not sold to Scan.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have had to remove the addresses to protect those involved.

Since this email we have had further discussions with ABIT who have agreed as a gesture of goodwill to take this board back from us, even though it was'nt sold to us.

As such this allows us to accept the unit back from yourself, a refund will be processed shortly for you.

Kind Regards

Wesley Aldred
    Operations Manager
    Scan Computers

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Can i stop stressing about my order from scan now............
    Nice of you to post on a public forum i suggest you hang around here a bit could be good for business mate (see what the competition are upto See the TINY thread in plasma forum)

16. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Wesley, I genuinely applaud you for taking the time to investigate this matter, and posting on an open forum board. I look forward to my refund in due course. I firmly believe there is some computer error here, and would like to know the details released by Abit. If you are prepared to give them to me, you can email me on

Chris

PS, the 3 page letter I had written has just been recovered from the post room and destroyed!

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,545
    It seems their order service runs at the same speed as their returns service....ordered 4 drives and a SATA card on 14th via online, but its not going to be picked until 19th!! Eventhough all items are in stock!

Granted there is Saturday and Sunday in-between...but please, 5 days!

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i ordered yesterday and wont be picked till 20th (does seem to take a long time.....) it looks to me like some one bought a new board from scan and returned a faulty one in a resealed box.....did board S/N match box???

19. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Putting 2 & 2 together from the earlier posts, I concluded the most likely explanation was that the original ordered & despatched motherboard(according to Scan's records) had been switched by a member of staff either deliberatly or accidentally at the packing stage?
    It was the tatty box that looked like it had been opened before that led me to this scenario.
    In light of the fact that Scan have finally concluded the dispute with the correct response, the aforeseaid is now irrelevant & confidence in Scan now restored for as little as £35.
    I wonder however if the same result would have been acheived without this forum :rolleyes:
    Was there an apology ??

20. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aside from the above I have used Scan but in person & considering the volume of customers they cope quite well, just get slowed down by people who don't know what they want :mad:
    A fast check out queue for those who do! no questions asked! might be a good idea.

21. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,545
    Oh boy....why didn't somebody tell me, they used the worst couriers in the world......City Link!!

Without doubt the biggest bunch of monkeys ever!

I've just finished nights on Friday morning, so i get home at 7am, and stay awake knowing that the parcel from Scan will be delivered today. The post arrives at 9am, i sign for a letter no problem....the day goes by.....and it gets to 4.30pm, so i give City Link a ring, so see what the status is. They say, they tried to deliver at 9.10am, but there was no answer! But i pointed out there was no card saying failed delivery, and they'll try again.......they couldn't give an answer. Just had a knock at the door, and my neighbour has my card! I thought any monkey could tell the difference between number 21 (my house) and 22 (my neighbour)!! Or maybe with todays date being the 21st confused the driver?!!?

Anyway, so now i have go and collect tomorrow, as i'm busy on Monday.

And just before Xmas, my girlfriend had another saga with City Link.....just seems they can't read!

22. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dead right! City Link are useless. I've had 4 occassions now where they claimed they tried to deliver & once they even left a card. On each of those times I was at home & never heard the knock with the cloth cap :mad:
    Just by chance I was near the front door on the last occassion & boy did he jump when I shouted hello after the quietest knock ever! had I been in the living room I would not have heard him.

23. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    We're forever getting Citylink couriers stopping by . Normally the same guy , sometimes twice a day! My 3 year old duaghter normally tells him off for bringing silly presents for daddy.

I've never had a problem with them myself.

Parcel Force....don't get me started...

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well i ordered 2 items on moday no delivery today...... phoned up and found out wasnt despatched yet, hope for monday.... very polite and spoke to a real person but very slow...... and paying £10 shipping for 2 items takes the PEE IMO

25. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had similar issues with aria and overclockers, hope this gets sorted for you.

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,230
    Since this issue is now resolved, I am closing ths thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.