Scan 3XS LG177 Laptop Failure

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LoveSony, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LoveSony

LoveSony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

My wife was using my laptop the other day, and it suddenly turned off without blue screening, and will not power back on. The laptop is not showing any sign of life. I have taken the hard drive out of the laptop and plugged it into ide/sata connector to check to see whether the hard drive has perhaps been fryed, and it is perfectly ok. So, I am not entirely sure what is wrong.

Does anyone have any pointers or solutions where I can bring the laptop back to life again?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    It is possible the power adapter or battery has failed, if you have a Digital voltmeter check the voltage at the charger tip, it should be about 19V. If you can remove the battery and see if it will run on the charger alone. If it is the power adapter scan should be able to supply a new one or you may be able to get a compatible one off amazon. If it isn't the battery or the power adapter then it is unlikely to be economic to repair.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. LoveSony

LoveSony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replying.

I took the battery out and tried turning the laptop on via the adapter and nothing happened and it is still dead. With the adapter, I found that my ASUS laptop uses an identical socket as Scan at the back. So, what I did was to plug the ASUS adapter into the Scan - still dead. To check the Scan adapter in case it was playing up (rather silly I know) but I tried it on the ASUS - no problem - it started charging. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would love to get this laptop working again

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. LoveSony

LoveSony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, but I have done someone more investigation.

After re-inserting the RAM, I found two red lights came on. These two lights are the battery and the mains supply. When I press the power on button, the AC Supply light flashes twice in white and goes back to red.

Any ideas?