Scan 3XS FT03 Nanu Custom Gaming PC with GTX 660Ti Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Greg Hook, 21st August 2012. Having reviewed Scan’s previous Nanu Gamer PC back in March 2012, this latest version with the newly released GTX660Ti graphics card and Intel Ivybridge platform promises great things. We had high expectations and, in a nutshell, we were not disappointed - highly recommended.
Read the full review...

Whats the point of paying £1000+ for a PC that can't run the latest games @60fps :eek:

Max Payne 3 is a horrible port and doesn't run well on even the most powerful PCs. Its not the hardware thats at fault with those FPS, its the lazy port.

Sorry guys, but if you're reviewing PC's, then you should run a full suite of software benchmarking and current played games and adapt your reviews to what the PC is intended for. Whilst the review is OK, it's not up to the standard of your AV reviews.

Fair play, but I suppose I hold you guys in high regard so expect the best reviews ;)

Sorry guys, but if you're reviewing PC's, then you should run a full suite of software benchmarking and current played games and adapt your reviews to what the PC is intended for. Whilst the review is OK, it's not up to the standard of your AV reviews.

Fair play, but I suppose I hold you guys in high regard so expect the best reviews ;)

It's easier with the TV reviews, where we measure to a set of industry standards but overall I thought Greg's review was pretty thorough on benchmarking. Our reviews are always evolving so we value any input, what would you have done differently?

So this is a performance desktop so some form of multi-tasking benchmarks should be run. You should also be comparing it to a baseline of some sort (your own PC spec for example). There are a lot of industry standard benchmarks in the PC industry so I'd pick 1-2 of those to run and you should be looking at I/O an access performance as well. More games than 3 or some graphics benchmarks to back the stats up would be good. 1920 x 1080 is also quite a low resolution for a performance desktop.

Also, this is overlooked as standard so maybe so some benchmarks compared to it's stock settings so you can say with confidence how SCAN have improved performance and then perhaps see how it does on a heat load test for a long period to give people an idea on reliability.

What I put does sound a little harsh and I didn't mean for it to come across that way, but reviewing PC's is a toughie. The review was well written so please don't mistake my criticism for abuse! :)

So this is a performance desktop so some form of multi-tasking benchmarks should be run. You should also be comparing it to a baseline of some sort (your own PC spec for example). There are a lot of industry standard benchmarks in the PC industry so I'd pick 1-2 of those to run and you should be looking at I/O an access performance as well. More games than 3 or some graphics benchmarks to back the stats up would be good. 1920 x 1080 is also quite a low resolution for a performance desktop.

Also, this is overlooked as standard so maybe so some benchmarks compared to it's stock settings so you can say with confidence how SCAN have improved performance and then perhaps see how it does on a heat load test for a long period to give people an idea on reliability.

What I put does sound a little harsh and I didn't mean for it to come across that way, but reviewing PC's is a toughie. The review was well written so please don't mistake my criticism for abuse! :)

Could you suggest some other benchmarks that you thought should have been run? I thought I ran all the most common ones such as 3D Mark etc and even compared all of them to my own PC and the previous Scan PC I reviewed which was something I failed to do on the first review, but if there are others you want to see I am happy to include them. (I presume you did read the test results page?)

Also, the TV Reviewers are qualified professionals. I am just an enthusiast, so my reviews will never be as technical as the TV reviewers as they use very expensive calibration and test equipment.

I don't take your comments as abuse so don't worry there. I've only been reviewing since March so any suggestions to improve future reviews are welcome.

I do agree that testing at a higher resolution would be useful and testing more games would be good, but I can only test with what I have got. No equipment is provided to me, nor any games to test, so I can only use my monitor (24" 1920x1080) and the few games that I have. I pretty much only play Battlefield 3, so don't tend to buy many games.

If any members want to give me games to test for the next review I won't say no!

Hi Mate

Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra processor/memory benchmarks would be good. Cinebench, Unengine and PCMark maybe. A comparison with a stock clocked PC would be the best and hitting the PC in review back to stock for a comparison is a good idea. That shows how much the manufacturer is adding value (and therefore giving them a selling point above the norm.

Personally I much prefer tests like 'real world' multimedia tests or running a game whilst encoding a video and transferring files. Tough on all PC's and really shows what can handle the heat.

I'd pop the PC on a loop of Prime95 multi-thread and see what happens. A 6 hour soak test and recording

As I said, I realise my first post sounded pretty harsh so sorry about that, bad day and bad mood. I just think it lacked the detail of usual AVF reviews but appreciate you're an enthusiast, not a pro.

Deffo a higher resolution would benefit your reviews and more tougher games. A lend of an AVF high res screen would certainly not go remiss :D

Hi Mate

Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra processor/memory benchmarks would be good. Cinebench, Unengine and PCMark maybe. A comparison with a stock clocked PC would be the best and hitting the PC in review back to stock for a comparison is a good idea. That shows how much the manufacturer is adding value (and therefore giving them a selling point above the norm.

Personally I much prefer tests like 'real world' multimedia tests or running a game whilst encoding a video and transferring files. Tough on all PC's and really shows what can handle the heat.

I'd pop the PC on a loop of Prime95 multi-thread and see what happens. A 6 hour soak test and recording

As I said, I realise my first post sounded pretty harsh so sorry about that, bad day and bad mood. I just think it lacked the detail of usual AVF reviews but appreciate you're an enthusiast, not a pro.

Deffo a higher resolution would benefit your reviews and more tougher games. A lend of an AVF high res screen would certainly not go remiss :D

Cheers for the pointers. I agree and really should have put the PC back to stock and done a comparison between that and the overclock at least. I'll make sure that happens next time.

Regarding the benchmarks, they don't take long to run and presuming they are all free to download I can easily add those to the set of ones I do already.

As you say, if someone wants to loan me a high res screen to test the a higher res, I'm happy to accept!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom