Scalpers / backup buyers - why!!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Had to look at my purchased history and I got my daughters Lego friends advent calendar on the 10th October. Talk about forward planning.
Beat ya - 2nd September :rotfl:
We normally get our advent calendars on November 30th #livingdangerously

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
It all reminds me of these sorts of people earlier in the year. I'm sure some would call it 'taking the initiative' - others would have a different term for them.

1605978171637.png

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Toilet paper - To some is a necessity, those who can't think for themself that can't imagine a life without toilet paper or possibly have a medical condition.

Games console - Absolutely nobody needs one. They just want it and want it now and were unprepared and are not willing to wait.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I find it hard to believe that people get "stressed" because they couldn't get a console on release.
Like really stressed? Like having a few Stella's and beating the misses up stressed?
If that stresses you out I would say you really need to seek medical help

mikeysthoughts

I've been stressed about things but never once has it led to beating up women... Odd that you've used that as an example of how someone would manage stress.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I ordered a large 5KG bag of Bodrum White Rice from Amazon, when it arrived, the official Amazon seal was cut. It seems some git must have opened up the package in transit, stolen it, and had swapped out my rice for a Sony PS5 instead.
I'm devastated :(

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Odd that you've used that as an example of how someone would manage stress
Some people manage stress with violence.
If you are unaware if that you need to open your eyes.
It was just an example.

mikeysthoughts

Some people manage stress with violence.
If you are unaware if that you need to open your eyes.
It was just an example.
I'm completely aware of it existing but I was wondering why you went there for an example in a conversation about games consoles. Getting boozed up and beating women is an extreme example in the context of the discussion.

Less extreme examples of stress you could use:
-loss of sleep
-loss of appetite/over eating
-hair loss

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I find it hard to believe that people get "stressed" because they couldn't get a console on release.
Like really stressed? Like having a few Stella's and beating the misses up stressed?
If that stresses you out I would say you really need to seek medical help
I think you should read up on mental health before judging anyone or anything. Frightening that wife beating is the first thing you think of for stress relief.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I'm completely aware of it existing but I was wondering why you went there for an example in a conversation about games consoles. Getting boozed up and beating women is an extreme example in the context of the discussion.

Less extreme examples of stress you could use:
-loss of sleep
-loss of appetite/over eating
-hair loss
Fair enough.
But doing the above just because you've not got a console on release day is extreme

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I think you should read up on mental health before judging anyone or anything. Frightening that wife beating is the first thing you think of for stress relief.
Don't talk to me about mental health.

mikeysthoughts

Fair enough.
But doing the above just because you've not got a console on release day is extreme
I don't have any strong feelings about a console release (I deliberately try to stay 2 years behind the curve as both hardware and games get cheaper and their issues are resolved), but I can understand how people have become excited about something new and shiny to be distracted by in a time when there doesn't seem to be a great deal of positivity flying around with COVID, the environment, politicians without any integrity or moral fibre all bombarding us from all angles on a daily basis.

Gaming is a bit of escapism and fun and imho the stresses and frustrations I've observed on this thread are partly the result of people feeling they are missing out or having to fork out large sums of cash due to others' profiteering.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I don't have any strong feelings about a console release (I deliberately stay 2 years behind the curve as both hardware and games get cheaper and their issues are resolved), but I can understand how people have become excited about something new and shiny to be distracted by in a time when there doesn't seem to be a great deal of positivity flying around with COVID, the environment, politicians without any integrity or moral fibre all bombarding us from all angles on a daily basis.
Oh I agree.
But to get stressed just because you have to wait a while longer? If anything it should build on the excitement. I understand some people were unhappy because Game charged extra on the basis they told people they were using royal mail only to go use Yodel/Hermes and delay everyone's console delivery but again, a minor inconvenience

mikeysthoughts

Oh I agree.
But to get stressed just because you have to wait a while longer? If anything it should build on the excitement. I understand some people were unhappy because Game charged extra on the basis they told people they were using royal mail only to go use Yodel/Hermes and delay everyone's console delivery but again, a minor inconvenience
I don't fundamentally disagree with your view,

There's something to savour in the anticipation that seems to be getting lost with the always-on, instant gratification pace of modern life. Never again will kids experience a 5-minute loading time from a Spectrum ZX cassette that fails!

But I digress. Live and let live :smashin:

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I do wish I could recreate the feeling I used to have in my Teens of a new games cartridge for my Atari console.
I'd read the free user-group magazine of the new game coming out next month, and there was only this one single game coming out. Nothing 3rd party. This was it.

I'd save my money, and buy the game as soon as it came out in-store. Generally availability was not a problem as at that time games consoles were still not really mass market in the levels they are now.

I'd pay for the cartridge, which was pretty much a weeks wages, come home and play the hell out of this very simple looking game.

I can honestly say, those days and games were the most exiting times ever.
Everything was new for my brain to take in, and had never been seen or experienced before.

Looking back at the visual quality of the games it's almost impossible to understand my feeling at the time.
It would be such a joy, in a way, to have my mind wiped of all I know about gaming and be able to experience my feeling and excitement of seeing/experiencing those games for the 1st time once more.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
"Struggling financially" - yet have the funds to buy a multitude of 450 quid consoles - fudge off!

When I was struggling financially I was eating buttered toast 2-3x day for a few weeks.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Whilst I don't like this scalping at all.

Buying something you know people will want at one price, and selling for a profit sums up half the business in the UK. probably.

If Sony/Msoft wanted to stop this they could do it instantly by doing what Apple does.
It would mean I could go online now to Sony's website, and buy a PS5 for delivery mid January.

So simple to fix if they wanted.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I remember when I moved to London.

After the company financial assistance ended it was cans of soup for dinner for me for a long while.
I was on a decent salary, just not a decent salary for London and I valued my independence too much to go for a flatshare.

That caved after 18 months.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I was naive. Was on SSP and unaware at the time I could've gotten help to bump up the measly £75/week I was getting which didn't even remotely cover rent and bills. So I lived off my change jar until pay resumed back to normal.

Good to remember those times to keep your feet grounded :)

Delvey

Distinguished Member
A certain CPU turned up on the classifieds the same day one, and only 1 retailer, had stock. Not in hand obviously, thread closed until said person had in hand. A nice £200 premium on top.
Definitely for personal use that one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett