Scaling and DVI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HouseofMu, Sep 26, 2003.

1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know there arn't that many DVI player being used yet, but I wonder if somebody who's had experience could help explain something to me..

If a pj is DVI connected (in my case a Tosh MT8) is the scaling (to 720/1080) done in the player and always bypasses the scaling within the pj? Or is it switchable to let the pj do it ?

Anyone?

n.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi,

My Momitsu will let you select 480p, 720p, 768p or 1080i from the DVI output. I think an output set to 720p would be ideal for your MT8. I'm using 768p into my 433MXE at the moment but it has a small band of distortion at the bottom of the screen. A firmware fix has been promised. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dutch, no disrespect to your Momitsu, but the reason I asked the question was because not all scalers are of the same quality.
    The scaler in my pj is very highly regarded and I was hoping I'd still have the option of it doing the work.

Obvously I'll look into each prospective players capabilities (scaler manufacturer/model etc), but I'm really unsure if the deal with DVI is that (regardless of pj) the pj scaler is always bypassed and the signal dsplayed 'native'?

cheers

n.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It's not always bypassed. However if it's coming in on DVI it's already going to be de-interlaced and then possibly scaled or re-interlaced by the player.

Gordon

5. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, Gordon, don't quite understand what you mean by 'scaled or re-interlaced by the player'?

Are you trying to say its better to have it done in the player (maybe cos it's dne in the digital domain still) , as opposed to in the pj, where it would have to undergo a D/A before scaling ? I'm only guessing here.

I understand that the less D/A & A/D conversion the better, but am unclear what conversion happens before/after de-interlacing/scaling. Could you enlighten me, with respect to a DVD player conencting via DVI ?

n.