Scaling (amp vs TV) vs high def component.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peskywinnets, Aug 3, 2006.

1. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sorry couldn't think of a snazzier title. I couldn't think of a more apt group to put it in...forgive me if it's little 'off topic' (in that it's not about standalone scalers)

I'm still digesting/absorbing info wrt what's gonna look best on my Plasma.

This is how I see it at the moment...the raft of mid tier AV amps (eg £500-£1000) that have been released (or are just about to) & offering upconversion to HDMI are likely to have average scalers - sound fair?

Also, unless the AV amp offers an upconversion resolution that matches the native resolution of my Plasma, the picture will be degraded? (eg analogue video into amp-> digitized to resolution 'X' -> transferred to TV over HDMI -> TV then remaps to fit it's native resolution)....sound fair?

Therefore this early 'flight' to AV amps with HDMI upconversion is likely to result in a sub par picture (relative to what can be acheived).

Ok then, lets say you have a decent plasma ie happy with the SD picture (which suggests the scaling can't be so bad?!). Would it not be better (pic wise) to feed my Plasma a high definition signal in analogue component form & let the Plasma do the scaling (once!)???

therefore all this rush (& cost) to HDMI is to save having two cables extra cable connected between an AV amp & the TV? (ie one HDMI cablve vs three component cables?).

If my thoughts are correct, then surely it's best top go for an AV amp that can switch HD analogue video & feed the output into my TV with component cables from the amp?

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    For me an upscaling/deinterlacing amp is purely the convenience factor. I don't think it degrades the picture any, but I don't ever think of it as improvement either. It would improve is if you had a pretty poor plasma screen to begin with, but really it's for the one cable solution. The only reason manufacturers have had to put deinterlacing into the amps is in order to be able to output HDMI from interlaced SD analogue inputs.