1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaling 720p/50 to 1080i/50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sul, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Sul

Sul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not an expert....be prepared...

After much debate regarding which pdp to buy, I opted for the HItachi 42PD5200 (foolish boy many will say) but it had the comfort of so many excellent reviews, high res/HDTV (so I thought) and looked good when demoed. It was also at a price I could handle.

Not even one day after buying, I learn that sky will be broadcasting their HD content at 720p/50 or 1080i/50 (broadcasters discretion) which means that without some black box vodoo, my new screen wont be 100% compatible.

The hitachi can take the following input formats :

Component : 480i, 480p, 576i, 575p, 720p/60, 1080i (50/60)
    Composite/Svideo : Composite/S-Video PAL/SECAM/NTSC3.58/NTSC4.43/PAL60
    RGB : RGB Normal Video RGB (50/60)

If i buy a suitable scaler, I believe I can the following...

1. Change the field rate from 50 to 60 to suit my display. I believe this will have a judder or flickering effect on the image

but

is it more sensible (given that my display is an ALis panel anyway) to use the scaler to scale up from 720p/50 to 1080i/50. Given (I think) that the field rate will stay the same, is this likely to give a smoother picture, and in general will this provide a quality output.

Am I also right in thinking that an input signal of 1080i/50 will require no further scaling/mucking about inside the display (limiting further pq problems).

I have read and re-read masses of posts regarding scaling, field rates, frame rates, pull downs, progressive, interalcing and to be honest, havent really got a handle on it.

I would sincerely appreciate the views of all, but especially those with a considered opinion. I dont really need to hear any further talk about why I should have bought a pioneer xde or whatever. I have it now. I worked hard to get it, and I wont be able to change it willy nilly for the new version or what will be available later - I expect I will still have it in the next decade.

Many thanks

Mark Sullivan

2. Sul

Sul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any takers......

Please......I Really need the help..

Cheers

Sul

3. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The Sky HiDef service will only be output via a HDCP compliant HDMI (or DVI) connection, I don't know whether the 4200 supports this at all.

Assuming it does support a DVI , then the DVDO IScan HD+ would be able to take a 720P signal and upscale it to 1080i. As you say , this might be a better option than doing frame rate conversion to 720P(60).

I'm waiting on a IScan HD+ from Joe, so might be able to try out something similiar - though my Panasonic HD7 doesn't support either 720P(50) or 1080i(50) , so would have to be an comparison between 720P(60) upscaled to 1080i(60) and 720P(50) frame rate converted to 720P(60).

Don't know about any other processors.