1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scalers

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mark.king, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 6 series pannel and am thinking of getting a new dvd player. I notice the denon 3910 has a scaler in it as the does the meridian g range. If I got one of these could I use the dvi board in my panny ok with one of these. The reason I am thinking so high end is that audio is the most important thing to me and playback of cd's

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    You could only use one of those if you only wanted to use the de-interlacing. Neither can scale to native resolution of the plasma and neither can do frame rate conversion to native rate. The plasma only works at 50Hz res of 576P....and even then there is some controversy about the Denon being able to work....(if you use the scaing of either player it wont sync to the plasma)

Why not consider an Arcam and a scaler like a Lumagen (or one of their competitors)....that will do what you want.

Gordon

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Mark,

I've got a 3910 here and the audio performance is superb - the out and out audiophiles will no doubt disagree but in terms of value for money it hits the spot as far as I am concerned.

The 3910 is superb also with video but like some others I have had problems with DVI output. Fixes are on the horizon but if I was to do it all again I just might go for Arcam!! (and I am not a dealer for either of them!).

I am a dealer for video scalers and if you select the right one it will knock spots off what the 3910 can do!

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  5. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the info. Will research a bit more.

I did go to see the 3910 and arcam yesterday and although picture is great the audio is no improvment on my arcam alpha 6. The demo guy agreed and said that the alpha 6 was a really good model and I would have to spent at least a £1000 to match it with a cd player never mind a combined dvd/cd.

Not sure what to do now as the audio is the most important part to me. I feel myself gravitating towards a meridian.