Scalers or AV amp best for switching devices?

simon1967

I am the process of changing my AV set-up and this now uses a scaler (DVDO iScan HD+) for the projector (marquee 9500).

Previously, all of my video and audio switching was done through the AV amp (Denon A1SR). This was all programmed through a learning remote so that all the family can use it - even my 4 year old knows how to turn on and switch between Cartoon Network and the PS2!!

The scaler is now needed for some (not all) sources so should the scaler be used instead of the AV amp? It would be easier for me just to run a single component cable from the Monitor out from the Denon to the iScan and then let it do its work. All the devices (except hdmi) devices would then still be connected to the amp with onlt one device connected to the scaler.

Ideally, I guess it would be preferable to connect them directly to the iScan but wondered whether the upcovertibf feature of denon would afect the signal quality too much (if at all)?

Oh, and what about the audio on the scalers? Should I just ignore the audio and stick with the AV amp?

cheers all - and happy easter...

simon

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Different sources may need different settings in the scaler. If you plug them all via the amp you will effectively only being useing one input with one set of settings on the scaler so I'd definately plug them in direct for video. Also if your amp is doing more than just switching or even if it is only doing switching it may have a detrimental effect on the picture. For simplicity sake if you have enough audio inputs on the scaler I'd plug all the audio via the scaler too. That way you do not need the amp to be switched at all and may make your reprogramming of your remote simpler and it looks like you're going to need to do that anyway.

simon1967

Different sources may need different settings in the scaler. If you plug them all via the amp you will effectively only being useing one input with one set of settings on the scaler so I'd definately plug them in direct for video.

That's a good point - forgot about the settings. My only concern regarding the settings is that there are only 4 memories. I haven't fully explored this yet but that doesn't seem that many if I have a load of sources. Unless each source has its own setting and additional memories for extra ratios etc?

For simplicity sake if you have enough audio inputs on the scaler I'd plug all the audio via the scaler too. That way you do not need the amp to be switched at all and may make your reprogramming of your remote simpler and it looks like you're going to need to do that anyway.

Surely, I would need the audio on the amp to run all the speakers (subs etc). The only benefit I can see on running the audio through the scaler is for the time delay function (which I believe is built in to the amp aswell).

Thanks

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Each input remembers it's own individual settings anyway. The memory functions are to save different settings for given inputs. eg. COMP1 can be set to 4:3 and COMP2 to 16:9 and when you switch between inputs the individual settings are retained on each input. The memory function could be used to have COMP1 on MEM1 set to 4:3 and COMP1 on MEM2 be set to 16:9. It is simpler for every device to have it's own input on the scaler as each input will remember the last setting and it will mean less button pressing to switch source. Similarly it's simpler to have the scaler switch audio rather than your amp as again less button pressing. The amp will still process the audio and drive all speakers etc, the scaler is simply being used as a switch.

If the devices are plugged into the amp for video and audio, to switch source, you would have to change the amp input over and also set the memory on the input of the scaler to take care of any different settings so two button presses.

If the devices are plugged into the scaler for video, but into the amp for audio, to change source you would have to switch input on the scaler and amp so again two button presses.

If the devices are plugged into the scaler for both video and audio, then to switch sources you simply just change the input on the scaler, one button press and as far as I can see no downsides and the audio delay function can be set individually for each input rather than having to adjust each time you switch source if it is required.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom