Scaler

Status
Not open for further replies.

MATT JENNER

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking on Gordon webs site @ convergent AV and am interested in learning more about a scaler.
My setup is an EllieXS300ht with built in line tripler, which is connected to dvd player via compnent to BNC,and then video is via my AV amp composite - BNC.

The picture quality is already good, but if i can squeeze some extra out of the projector then i would like to,
so my question to any techno wizard out there, is would a scaler improve an already good picture ?
I did notice in 7okaes hifi they were showing off some ht200 dlp and to make the picture beeter there was a scaler in another room, (cheeky way of selling) but it seemed to improve the picture.
Obviosly CRT is far souplerior, so how does it improove a picture?

Thanx in advance for any help/advice

Matt

As a general rule the internal line multipliers (like the one in your Ellie) are built to a price and work best with the projector they were designed for. The technology used may not keep pace with the latest developments in the industry, but overall they'll do a reasonable job.

An external scaler is more likely to offer higher quality processing because of later generation silicon, and is very likely to offer greater set-up flexibility because the manufacturer wants the product to work with as wide a variety of projectors as possible.

There are exceptions ofcourse - some internal line multipliers do a very good job (but they're quite pricey), and there are cheaper scalers that look good value but may not deliver all they promise.

Areas where an external scaler could offer improvements are in fine detail, better de-interlacing for a smoother picture with less jaggies, and handling film and video modes correctly.

Regards

Thanks, for replying to my question,
I seeemed to have peed everyone else off with past comments,
but i suppose life goes on, :-(

thanx for the advice, i will start to look around for one,
do you know any other sites apart from Gordons one,

Matt

Matt,
I have seen the Ellie 3000 in action and was suitably impressed. I have a Barco BG808 with a Quadscan Pro. The system is running line quadrupled and looks fab. The line tripled Ellie I thought was very good too......

Are you unhappy with the projector? I don't know if the Ellie will lock onto the higher frequency signals from the scalers. Roland should be able to confirm this.

Purely from a personal viewpoint, I would not think that you would see the difference unless you are using a BIG screen (mine is 10' and it can look better trippled rather than quadded) The more you scale the picture, the softer it gets so I would stick with what you have unless you have a major issue with it.

Cheers
Alex

Originally posted by refinechange

Are you unhappy with the projector? I don't know if the Ellie will lock onto the higher frequency signals from the scalers. Roland should be able to confirm this.

Cheers
Alex [/B]

thanx Alex,

the projector i am well impressed with, for the money it is great value, i was just wondering if there was any more i could squeeze out of the projector with the aid of a scaler, but obviosly there is not,
Thanx for the comment on my thread.

Originally posted by MATT JENNER
i was just wondering if there was any more i could squeeze out of the projector with the aid of a scaler, but obviosly there is not

Matt,
Just because you can't increase from line tripled to quadrupled doesn't mean you won't see an improvement, so its wrong to dismiss the external scaler option until you have tried it.

One of the rooms at Gordons "The Event" showed the improvements between different quality quality scalers using the same projector. There's more to it than just the number of lines.

Regards

Thanx once again Chris,

I will look into it more, do you know any web sites where i can look at somem or einfo and prices ?
I have looked at gordons web site, do you know of any others ?

Thanks

Matt

Hi MATT,

Sorry for length of time replying. My Laptop is still recovering from the cup of coffee that went over it a few months ago. I thought all was well but it took an hour to boot up yesterday, then 6 hrs to de-frag...

Anyway. I am unfamilier with the tripler in the Ellie. The benefits a good off board scaler can bring are as Chris says. Screen size is not really relevant. Scalers do many things. They de-interlace, they re-scale the resulting signal but before any of that they have to deal with the incoming video signals, so the quality of their video decoders can play a part as well.

As for pricesa nd products.
Cheap= s/h Quadscan around £650
Cheap New= Deuce £800ish
Cheapish NEW= Centrestage1 £1700, Extron 204 £1900?
Coming soon...
HD Leeza
FaroudjaDVI
With US: RockPlus £4500ish

Thanx for the help Chris and Gordon

I will look around for one or wait maybe until the event, (if there is one next year) as i have never seen the difference between one with a scaler running and one without.
Where as last year at Godons event this was done with a couple of Barco's.
Thanx once again

Matt Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom