1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scaler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bluenosebert, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Bluenosebert

Bluenosebert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi team. Can anyone tell me am I wasting my money on a iScan HD to improve my sky+ footie pics and certain low grade sky channels. Or is their something better on the market? I have a hitachi 5200 plasma sony dvd sky+ box.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If I'm not mistaken the Hitachi is an ALiS based plasma so is essentially an interlaced display panel.

So if you use an external scaler to deinterlace and then scale an input source to say 720p the display is then going to re-interlace the image prior to displaying it on screen …so I would have thought that any real benefit is going to be negligible…that said I have never seen that combo in action – nor any Hitachi in fact.

Also with low bitrate Sky channels it's the old adage of crap in...crap out I'm affraid.

Your best bet would be to find a dealer willing to loan you a unit for you to try at home.

Cheers, Lee

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Hitachi is a bit strange with hi def signals too, if you don't mind losing a bit of picture round the edges, they don't scale 1080i, which you could try sending it from a suitable scaler. They do improve sky footie, but as Loonatic says, half the trouble is terminal, and due to lack of data in the picture. You cannot send this panel native resolution, it doesn't understand the question, but it might still help. Whether it's worth a grand is a question only you can answer, and a willing dealer could help you there.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    How is SKY connect to the Hitachi???