1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler/VSM2048 Output

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The completion of my home theater is nearing its end... that said, I belive that I have a cabling issue which has been caught just in the nick of time.

The theater will have two displays -- the first being a front projector, the second being an LCD panel for casual viewing. The initial thinking was to feed the projector a DVI signal and feed the LCD panel a RGB signal.

The problem/question is this -- can the scaler be configured to simultaneously send both DVI signal and a RGB signal? My recollection is no -- the sacler must be configured to send one (and only one of) DVI, RGBHV or RGBsG.

If the answer is no then... does anyone know of a product that accepts one DVI video signal and sends (ideally at all times) that signal to two or more DVI displays?

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Joelc

PS. Happy New Year to all!!!

2. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Joel,

Both DVI and RGB outputs are simultaneously active unless you are connected via the DVI input to an HDCP-encrypted source, in which case the RGB analog output is turned off (licensing requirement) and the DVI output will only convey content to an HDCP-capable display.

3. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John:

1. To confirm my understanding...

a) if the source is not HDCP-encrypted (i.e. HDTV via a component connection) then the scaler will output the signal via both the DVI connection and the RGB connection.

b) if the source is HDCP-encrypted (i.e. HDTV via a DVI HDCP-encrypted connection) then the sacler will only output via the DVI connection. Moreover, the output will only be displayed on a HDCP enabled device.

2. To further my understanding (as my kit is still in boxes whilst the construction continues)... what variable does one have to set in the VSM2048 menu to output both DVI and RGB as I recall having to set the scaler output to one of DVI, DVI-HDCP 1.0, RGBHV and RGBsG?

3. Tremendous to hear from you... trust that everything is going well... trust that you had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.

4. Will advise -- as I assume you are interested after all the effort you put forth -- as to whether the scaler works with the new projector. If it does not I do not know what I will do.... :confused: :mad: :censored:

Cheers,

Joel

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joel,
    Regarding DVI 'duplicators': You certainly can get them, but they're not cheap! I'm looking at getting one for the same reason. I want to take the DVI output from my scaler (sadly not the VSM2048 though!) to both my LCD (where the results are fantastic compared to analogue) and my projector.
    The options are:
    Gefen Digital Visual Interface (DVI) Splitter model EXT-HDTV-142 which includes HDCP capability and goes for about $243/£130 via eBay from the States,
    or
    a more PC oriented (and probably not HDCP-capable) Dtrovision model which I've seen here in the UK for £150-ish but is shipped from the US.

So it's definitely possible, and I thnk it's worth the outlay for the amount of hours spent watching each (and that's with a smaller budget than your HT!), and you'll likely need a keystroke on your remote to change output resolution to match each display unless you're lucky that they're identical! Don't forget to make sure you get a 1x2 (1 input to 2 output) not a 2x1 (2 input to 1 output)!

5. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PhilB1234:

Many thanks for the feedback....

I do not think that I am going to go to that expense quite yet as it appears that I can get DVI to the projector and RGB to the LCD panel (which should suffice given that the panel is for casual viewing).

Keystrokes will be needed to change the output resolution as the projector is 720p whereas the LCD is 1080p. The other option of course is to simply output 720p and let the LCD panel convert 720p to 1080p depending on the complexity of the keystrokes. Are there one or two simple keystrokes to change the output resolution of the scaler -- I do not think so?

Wiring is a major challenge when a) one wants to use one source for multiple displays and b) one is trying to avoid the purchase/use of a matrix switcher as they are prohibitively costly. The major hurdle to date is the cable box which is used for HDTV viewing on three different display devices and SDTV viewing on one display device.

Many thanks,

Joel

6. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John, Graham, etc.:

Can someone please refresh/remind me of the keystrokes/process for engaging/disengaging the VSM2048? Something in my memory is telling me to power on the unit whilst holding the OK and NORMAL buttons.

The problem is that when I was last using th AV192R I had disengaged the VSM2048 because it was not working with my then current display. Now I want to re-engage it to test whether it works with my new displays.

Many thanks,

Joel

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.

Is this of any use:-

KEY_ANALOGUE + KEY_VIDEO = Enable PSM support.
    KEY_VIDEO + KEY_NORMAL = Enable VSM support

I know you already have the HDCP stuff so best not go there in open forum......

8. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The DVI and RGB outputs are always active except with HDCP sources as noted above, no menu settings required, though the modes of operation of the DVI and analog outputs (e.g. RGBHV or sync-on-green for analog etc) will need to be set up as required. There are discrete IR codes to select common resolutions, including 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080), full list attached.

Attached Files:

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi John.
    Useful stuff, ta.

10. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

John and Graham:

I do not think that the question has been answered - likely my fault for not being clearer in my original posting.

The question is this - what buttons/keys on the front panel do I "depress"/"hold down" when powering up the unit to initialise the sequence to activate the VSM2048? The sequence starts by displaying something to the effect "USE SVM2048" in the front panel display.

Many thanks,

Joel

11. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As Graham posted above, holding the the video and normal keys during power up accesses the VSM enable/disable menu.

12. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John:

Duh.... sometimes I should read things more carefully. Once again... thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Cheers,

Joel

13. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joel, Just thought I'd let you know I've found a cheaper DVI splitter! I've ordered mine through Lindy.com/uk where their DVI splitter:
    http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/03/32409/index.php
    goes for £109. I'be been impressed with their DVI cables so thought I'd give this a try.... Lindy have got sites all round the globe so hopefully you'll be able to check out local prices (do I remember right that you're in Canada?).....

14. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PhilB1234:

Many thanks for the lead mate. As it is it looks as though I will be needing this device after all.

Cheers,

Joel

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :D I follishly assumed that Joel knew that by now as his woe's are celebrating their first anniversary now...

I'm curious, do the DVI and RGB in/outs revert to pass through if the VSM/PSM are disabled?

16. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG:

1. My woes are now well past their first anniversary... 15 months to be exact. And yes, I have forgotten (must be my advancing age) because I have not played with the scaler for the better part of 12 months.

2. As it relates to your question, the DVI and RGB in/outs do revert to pass throughs (at least the RGB one does as I never tested the DVI one).

Hope that helps,

Joel

17. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should arrive in the next day or two so I'll have the chance to set it up and try it before I go to a meeting Prague for a week. Assuming it arrives I'll let you know if there is any visual compromise, as I'm starting to have an impressive number of DVI cables between source and display!
    DVD32 >>DVI>> Scaler >>DVI>> Splitter Box >>DVI>> to each of LCD screen and projector.

I am concerned that this will mean to many stages for the signal to go through but hopefully all will be well and will mean I don't have to change cables over every time I change display! A hassle I'm sure you're familiar with!

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If it helps we use Lindy cables all the time, hwoever I fear the "audiophile" brigade will jump into action soon telling us we need "better" cables..... :suicide:

19. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to know.... I've tried 1080p over my Lindy 10m cable as an experiment and it worked great so I've got good faith in the brand!

20. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joel,
    The DVI splitter arrived and works perfectly... You can't tell it's there!

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Phil.
    Are you saying it works at 1080p?? The spec says only 1080i....... I would be curious just how far you can run it :lease:

22. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PhilB1234:

Thanks for the info... I will let you know what product I end up with as well as how I get along.

Cheers,

Joel

23. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,
    I selected it from the set-up menu and got a good picture but only to test it so I don't know if it's true 1080p..... I certainly didn't run it for long. The main thing was to test the cable's capacity.
    The dvdo website also lists:
    "Creates ANY user definable output resolution between 480p & 1080p, including the popular HDTV resolutions 720p & 1080i", but I do remember reading somewhere that either the deinterlacing or scaling can't be done at full capacity at this setting, and so it's just sending that signal rather than it being an ideal selection to run a display at....

Either way I don't need it...... yet. Until a 1920x1080 3 chip DLP projector that runs silently can be bought for £500!!

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Dream on matey......