1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler to a Sam PS42S5HX?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zero_cool, Sep 12, 2005.

1. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everybody,
    I have a Samsung PS42S5HX on the way (yet to see if it is any good) and wanted to clear up on scalers. I have looked at DVDO's and Lumagens. Both (apart from the VP30) only seem to have DVI outputs. The Samsung panel only has a HDMI input, so would I be ok using a DVI to HDMI converter? I have seen something like this on ebay and assume that would be the sort of thing I would need?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Hello Zero Cool

The Lumagen processors will output both Digital and/or Analogue video signals - using DVI-I to HD15 or DVI-I to 5BNC adapter cables or an optional Analogue Output board (5BNC)

Keep in mind on both the DVDO and Lumagen Processors anything you Input as a Digital signal with HDCP applied won't appear on the Analogue Outputs.

The Lumagen and DVDO Processors will easily interface with an HDMI Input socket on your Display using a DVI to HDMI cable - see http://www.bettercables.com/dvihdmicables.html

You can use a DVI to DVI cable plus an HDMI adapter - see http://www.bettercables.com/cohdv.html; though better to get the DVI to HDMI cable I'd suggest.

Best regards

Joe

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    I use one of these http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?KA170 connected to a standard HDMI to HDMI lead. Works a treat connecting up my Lumagen to both my TV and my projector.

Regards

Mark

4. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you both for your responses, that is exactly what I wanted to know

Mark, you say you have a Lumagen. Would you mind telling me which one it is? Does it make a big difference to the picture? Are you based in the UK and if so where did you purchase yours and for how much roughly?

Sorry for all the questions at once!

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    The cheapish one, the Lumagen DVI.

Yes, to me it does. I made the mistake of buying unseen a Toshiba 52" DLP RPTV. Terrific picture apart from whenever anything pans. Then it blurs or melts into an 'oil painting' effect on any high contrast parts of the picture, especially on low quality feeds. Someone suggested I try a Lumagen to see if it would cure it, as it's poor PAL processing on the Toshiba's part doing the damage. They offered it sale or return for five days. Against all my expectations it cured all the Tosh's problems, so I kept it and the TV (which, with the Lumagen's assist, is now as good as any DLP RPTV you can get, I reckon). It also had the added bonus that it greatly improved the picture quality of my Sanyo Z3 projector. Previously I fed the Z3 from a Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player, via component. When I changed to the same player feeding the Lumagen and the Lumagen feeding the Z3 via HDMI, the difference was amazing. The clarity and sharpness increased markedly, which believe me, you really notice on an 8ft wide screen. :)

So, to boil all that down, yes, the Lumagen has worked wonders on my two display systems. I wouldn't be without it now. And I haven't even had it calibrated, which is supposed to make it better still.

Yes. I got it from Liam at http://www.progressive-av.co.uk/ for a summer deal price of £699, but by the time I'd bought adaptors, scart to four-way RGBi leads (for Sky) etc, it came to about £800 or thereabouts. Dunno if the £699 deal is still going, it was supposed to be only a short term thing. There are other dealers doing Lumagens, including Gordon who posts on these lists, and is the main Lumagen UK distributor, I believe. And also Joe, who's already spoken on this thread. Others too, no doubt.

Regards

Mark

6. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Mark,
    That answers my questions. I have spoken to Gordon and apparently he can set up the Lumagen to my plasma and give me a demo. Which is nice.

Thanks again for your help.