1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scaler required for dvd player to pj via VGA?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by amrds, Dec 7, 2003.

1. amrds

amrds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am trying to get the best image from a DVD player to the projector via VGA. The projector is an ASK C100 which doesn’t have component in. Currently using s-video from a Pioneer 717 but having compared the image with my HTPC the image quality from the DVD player is very poor. However I cant live with the stutter/judder on the HTPC and the fiddling around.

Have spent a lot of time on the forum looking for solutions and tips. Have tried a CSR 2200 scart to RGBHV but the projector sulked (image all over the place) I assume the projector didn’t support the resolution. (Tried simulating an interlaced 50hz signal at SVGA and XGA resolutions, which worked so it can handle the frequency and interlaced/de-interlaced modes).

In order to use the VGA port successfully via a DVD player do I need to use a scaler?

I was thinking about upgrading the DVD player, with £500 to spend would I be best upgrading the DVD player and using s-video or getting a scaler to use with existing setup for now?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Setup: ASK C100 projector, pioneer VSX 2011 amp, pioneer 717 DVD player (s-video), HTPC (p4 2.4 Ghz, radeon 9800pro - DVI output, audigy 2 soundcard), Tannoy MMs & MCs speakers, yamaha sub.

2. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I would get a Cinematrix modified DVD player. It has RGBHV outputs and the picture quality is as good as a Radeon HTPC.

Of cours, it still has all the simplicity of a standalone DVD player.

I have a Denon 1600 with the Cinematrix and the results are absolutely brilliant.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if this'll help but QED SQART have a Scart - Vga convertor available for £150

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi amdrs
    Why not use your HTPC with DScaler and capture the SVideo output from your DVD player and scale it to the native resolution of your projector (1024x768)
    You can get a cheap and cheerful capture card from around £40 which will do SVideo, or if you want better quality we do an RGB capable capture card at £199 (I believe your DVD supports RGB output)

This will get you as close as you can get to HTPC quality DVD playback without using an HTPC. If you do later decide that you want to return to DVD playback within your HTPC, then you can add the RealMagic Xcard and feed that in to our capture card via PDI, this is less prone to stutter than software solutions as the mpeg decoding is done on the Xcard in hardware and is therefore less resource sensitive - oh and of course you have all of those lovely DScaler deinterlace methods to play with for DVD playback as well ;-)

Hope this helps

regards