1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scaler questions, with hs50.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Apr 27, 2005.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, im thinking of getting a scaler to use with my sony hs50.
    My main use is Dvd vi a arcam dv79 and a little xbox. (No tv yet)

The scalers i'm looking at are the lumegen dvi and the dvdo hd+. I'm aware of the 720p blocking that the hs50 suffers from, and im trying to decide weather it's worth buying a scaler before, or after i get the firmware fix.

I have a few questions.
    Q1 i understand both saclers will output 1280 - 728p (which is the native rez of the hs50) If i do this via dvi-hdmi will i still get the blocking?

Q1.5 will 728p be an improvment over 720, and will 1080 be an improvement over 728.
    (in other words is it better to wack the scaler up to it's highest rez possible, or is it best to find a happy medium.)

Q2 does 1080i refer to the horizontal rez or the vertical, and if it's interlaced wouldn't the projecter have to switch it to proggresive?

Q3 i noticed the dvi will only output 1080i and not 1080p like the hd+ is this a problem.

Q4 which of these scalers would work best for my situation?

Sorry about the questions,

Dave

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Q1. Assume you mean 1280 x 720. Yes both scalers will output that and help to remove the blocking (use of HDMI / DVI in itself will not affect that)

Q1.5. The optimum scaler operation will be interlaced input and de-interlaced output at the display's native resolution. ie: 720p.

Q2. 1080i means 1080 visible horizontal interlaced lines. Digital displays are generally only progressive-scan, and would have to de-interlace any input where that had not already been done.

Q3. The Lumagen HDP will de-interlace 1080i to 1080p like the iScan HD+, but this will be no advantage where you have a 720 native display.

Q4. Both scalers will work well. Most consider the Lumagen to be a bit more flexible, while the iScan has lip-sync correction, but IIRC, does not accept 576i input on DVI - has to come in on analogue RGB or component.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    I'd just add that the DVI will also de-interlace 1080i and output it at 720P exactly as the HDP and HDP Pro currently do. Lumagen are working on a future firmware update right now that will allow film detection on 1080i sources. This will only run on HDP and HDP Pro and will be a benefit even if you are going out at 720P.

I was recently (ie last week) at an installation on behalf of a dealer where he had a Pioneer plasma running from one output of the Lumagen scaler and an HS50 off another. We achieved pixel for pixel matching on both using the multiple memories the scalers have. Looked good.

The DVI is limited to no more than 768P@60Hz output. The HS50's optimum is to be run pixel for pixel so you don't need to go that high.

Hope this is of use.

Gordon

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Was that with the dvi or the hdp?

Also if i'm correct the rez for the hs50 is 1280 by 768. would that not mean the scaler was running at full capacity.
    D

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    It's 1280x720.....
    http://products.sony.co.uk/vpl-hs50.asp

The sort of claimed max for the DVI is 1366x768@60 ...but it'll go to 800P....and some refresh rates but I've never tried.

It was actually with an HDP Pro....for these purposes the HDP is the same. DVI has slightly lower image quality compared to the bigger units now the better processing firmware has started to get released.

Gordon

6. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Gordon,

I have read of problems achieving pixel matching on an HS50 - were you using the RGB analogue output on the HDP Pro (and connecting to the Pioneer using the DVI output) ?

I think per-pixel mapping has certainly been achieved over VGA. Its just that if clancol goes for the Lumagen DVI then he would have to order the optional analogue output as it may not be possible to get pixel matching through the DVI output according to this report on AVSForum .

However, all is not lost: Jim Peterson's solution is to run it at 1080i from the DVI output :) . I think the VisionDVI will go up to 1080i so, although not native resolution, all would be cool by awtryau89's account.

Kurtz

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Yes now that you mention it we were going in on VGA input to the PJ and DVI to the plasma.

The DVI and HDP have analogue outputs as standard. The DVI-I socket has pins for analogue rgb. All you need is the correct lead or a DVI-I to HD15 adaptor...which you can buy or the dealer can supply...

Gordon

8. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ah.. Of course - I always keep forgetting about the analogue pins on DVI-I!

9. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just another question.
    Can i connect my dvd player to the (Luma-dvi) via a HDMI - DVI connection then from the scaler DVI-I to the hs50 VGA input.
    (trying to get round the 720p blanking issue.)

Will the result ba as good as HDMI and DVI all the way?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    No you cannot do that I'm afraid. The HDMI output of the dvd player will be encrypted if the disc playing is copyprotected. In such a situation a scaler will be required to disable its analogue output (part of the HDMI/HDCP licence agreement). You could get round this with a DVI-HCDP to VGA convertor. This would talk to the back end of the Lumagen saying it was HDCP compliant. Then it would do the digital to analogue conversion itself.....I have no idea what sort of qualty the DtoA of these devices is though.

Gordon