1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler questions for 505-HDE

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Scott KL, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Scott KL

Scott KL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just getting my feet wet with scaler technology but if one of the regulars would be so kind to answer the following.

I have recently installed a pioneer 505-HDE and 868i player with HDMI. Although I am generally happy with the picture when viewing DVDs I am continually to look to ways to improver the PQ. I have calibrated the set using a set up disc but may invest in ISF calibration in future.

My main gripe with the display is with the analogue cable, as I expected. Where I live I am limited with the source material unfortunately so I would like to get the most out of my plasma. The cable box is connected to the media box with S-video (no component or RGB).

1. I am going to buy a scaler for the cable TV anyway, but is the cost for HD scaler worth the extra money for the improvement in PQ? Can someone tell me what scaler would best suit the above bearing in mind my amplifier has no audio delay function. I have been looking at the DVDO iScan units (haven’t seen the Lumagen).

2. If the 505-HDE cannot accept native 768p via the HDMI input, can it via the component inputs and if so would there be any difference in PQ after digital/analogue conversion compared to 720p via the HDMI?

3. Would the iScan HD+ perform better than the 505-HDE or 868 scaling to warrant the extra cost or do I just need the iScan Ultra for cable TV?.

4. Finally, what settings does the 868i need to be set to best suit the 505-HDE and scaler for DVD, e.g. what is the best resolution, 720p or 1080i? If HD scaler bought, do I just set DVD ouput for 480p or even 480i and let the iScan do the de-interlacing also rather than the 868i?

With kindest regards,

Scott

2. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go Iscan route pay the extra and get the HD or + not the Ultra. The HD has audio delay where as the ultra does not but this is only available via Digital input which I have used on Sky+ to good effect.

I am using the Iscan HD on the PW6 at 720p "which as you know is a lower res panel than the 505" via Vga input and it has cleaned up the images on sky so much that I am very please with my purchase.

I'm not saying you should go and purchase the HD the Lumagen is the other option but from what I have read isn't very user friendly but it may be the way to go with your panel? Gordon may have some comments on this!!

I just wanted to confirm that the extra outlay as you asked, as did I...............is worth it :smashin:

There must be other owners on here with 505 and scalers to give you an idea, but me personally wouldn't be without a scaler on a plasma.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Only comment I would add about Lumagen is that the "not user friendly" bit is confusing to me. Lumagen dealers set the things up so that they are extremely user friendly. Indeed, I would expect that for many users once they are set up absolutely no intervention is required on the customers behalf other than choosing which input to watch and which aspect ratio.

All scalers, including Iscan's( ask the folk who've had me set their HD's up for them) should be installed correctly for best performance. The Lumagens just have more flexiblity in set up to allow Lumagen dealers and users the opportunity to fine tune the thing to get the best out of every source and to try to compensate for possible issues in the display.

Lumagen. Iscan. whatever a decent scaler should make a significant difference to your Sky picture.

Gordon

Gordon

4. Scott KL

Scott KL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

One other question relating to the iScan (sorry Gordon!). If I set the 868 DVD player to output 480i via HDMi into the DVI input of the iScan HD (i believe a patch is on its way to support this), am I right to say that I have no requirement for the iScanHD+ because the 505-HDE does not accept 768 resolution through HDMI and when Sky HD comes around, whether 720p or 1080i the HD+ model wouldn't do anything anyway as my panel cannot support 1080p?

Going back to one of my original questions, can the 505-HDE accept native resolution through the component input and would there be a difference in PQ between this and 720p from the iScan HD via HDMI?

Scott

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've got a strong feeling that any output via HDMI will be HDCP encrypted if the source material is, whether it's interlaced or not, so you would need the HD+ due to it's HDCP support.

Also, the 505 will only accept video resolutions via its component inputs so no joy there either...only via the frount mounted VGA socket might you get native resolution support but not sure at what refresh rates and not sure what it does regarding frame rate conversion internally.

Unfortunatly, the FDE/HDE/XDE Pioneer models are not designed to be used with external scalers in the same way that their comerical panels are...so you have to make compromises somewhere along the way.

You will also find that if you feed the HD+ and HDCP encrypted source then the analogue outputs would be disabled anyway.

Cheers, Lee

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Scott KL

Keep in mind you may want to use other features of your proposed Video Processor over and above scaling when HD signals such as SKY HD comes along – for that reason you really want to look at the iScanHD+ and Lumagen VisionHDP which can input and process 720P Digital signals; unlike the VisionDVI and iScanHD which can only pass through 720P Digital signals.

One simple feature the Video Processor's add that's not catered for well in the HDE/XDE is sizing of the input signal – you have no overscan adjust in the TV's Media Box; whereas if you go with one of the processors capable of ‘processing' 720P you will have full control of the video overscan.

Best regards

Joe

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Joe: We need to chat....DVI will process HD signals. It will not scale above 768P and it will not do film detection on 1080i sources. It will also not benefot from the newer scaling algorithm that is being worked on now for release Feb.

Gordon