1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scaler problems - DVDO HD+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scouse258, Aug 26, 2005.

1. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for reading

BENQ PE8700, Arcam DV79 and an upgrade - DVDO HD+ scaler

Being a typical cinema buff im always on the lookout for upgrades but the latest has casued me a problem

before i upgraded my scaler, the scaler happily "passed through" the digital image from the dvd player to the projector - hdmi to dvi lead into the scaler, dvi cable out of scaler into the projector - no probs.

After the upgrade though i can not get an image.

The problem seems to be HDCP - when i turn on the dvd player the arcam screensaver pops up and i can play non HDCP discs but putting in a normal dvd disc and it wont show the pic

i cant understand the problem as when i play the dvd player straight to the projector it works fine suggesting the both the player and projector are HDCP compliant

why wont the projector take the pic from the scaler then?

is it a scaler thing or a projector thing?

dont suppose i will get an answer but it is worth a try as its taking ages to get a response via DVDO,

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    scouse258

Has your dealer set the iScanHD+ to a resolution/refresh that matches your Projector?

Joe

3. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    further to the above reply, as i can see pictures via component it would suggest it is the HDCP protocol which is the problem.

ALSO - DVDO were really quick with a response - it would seem my original email did not get received

JVB Digital Holland upgraded the scaler for me but forgot to load the new software on

they have offered to do it for me if i send it back to them again but this will cost me £50 in postage

DVDO USA have confirmed a problem exists but it mainly is on panasonic units and they are working on a new software release

i still have suspicions that the projector doesnt like HDCP signal via its DVI port but BENQ have stated it is HDCP compliant which points the finger back to the scaler

Anyhow - im going to upgrade the software via their online download site so fingers crossed

im stuck with component in at the moment so i am worse off after having an upgrade as atleast i could pass through a digital signal

i will update the site if the upgrade works

4. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well - i did the upgrade - remarkably easy - but it hasnt sorted out the problem - still cant get a picture - pass through or otherwise via digital in from my DVD player

it will play non HDCP material no problem

anyone else had this problem

waiting for a reply from tim at DVDO at moment

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello scouse258

Didn't fully follow your original post - I take it you've had an HD and now its an HD+!

Certainly sounds like a handshaking problem - possibly to do with older DVI circuitry talking to newer DVI circuitry; have you tired setting the Arcam to output an Interlaced signal via its HDMI output?

Best regards

Joe

6. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unfortunately on the Arcam DV79 there is no way to switch progressive scan off on HDMI output

Also since then the analogue output has given up on me!! - i get green pictures via all sources now an a message ERR - EC00 - 761 -025B coming up - im not exactly a good advert for JVB Holland (who did the upgrade) or DVDO am i?

Both the gents are tring to help me Jan from JVB even phones me saturday(and what i have forgot in my first link was that DVDO USA are 9hrs behind us - silly me) but i now have both my dvd players and sky hooked directly up to the projector as i am also suffering from motion jerkyness when watching football

previously i had this problem at all upscaled resolutions but i simply turned to 576P and this sorted the problem out - now i have jerkyness at that resolution - since the upgrade!

this problem seems apparant to all quick motion sport

i wish i hadnt upgraded to be honest - and perhaps bought a Denon 3910 to scale my dvd pics instead

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Actually there is a way to turn progressive scan off on the ARCAM...Not only that you can decide whether to output the 480i/576i as component or RGB digital video data....

Turn Force DVI to OFF,
    Turn Priority to Analogue
    Turn Progressive to OFF.

Bingo.....

Gordon

Gordon

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Gordon - you beat me to it :)

Scouse258 - one of the (many) great features of the Arcam DiVA DV79 and FMJ DV29 is the ability to Output an Interlaced YUV or RGB signal via HDMI; its as close as you'll get to not having to worry about the extra cost and complexity of SDI.

Stick with the system you have - once its working its potentially way better than an up-scaling Denon :)

Best regards

Joe

9. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All

please note that i withdraw any reservations i may have about either company as the customer service is second to none

Thanks to Tim in DVDO.com USA - i have a fully working scaler.

Apparantly it is a "hand-shake" problem between the projector and scaler not necessarily the scalers fault

He sent a patch (which is normally used on panasonic projectors that have shown this problem) making the projector accept images from the player and scale them too

the main problem with all this is the time difference between UK and USA which delayed things a little.

Anyone wanting DVD or scaler upgrades please checkout www.jvbdigital.com
    as they do some exceptional stuff with your kit - Jan was very friendly and helpful

The green screen was caused by the software update which reset my settings to factory (which was stated on the download page) - it was fixed by typing in my new settings - bingo

as for the motion jerkyness - not tested this yet but im advised that it could be due to the framerate not being locked which again is a setting thing

although i have not tested this - they have come up trumps on the other stuff so fingers crossed

Tim/Jan - i have been a bit of a pain but i would now love to upgrade to the VP30 in the future

5 stars to you both

chris