1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Output Scan Rates & DLP Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ZippyCat, Jun 11, 2005.

1. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I am completely new to scalers, but have a couple of questions that may resolve my problem.

I currently own a Toshiba MT200 projector which incorporates a 4x colour wheel. In essence I would like to speed up the colour wheel for my DVD viewing to reduce rainbows. If I send a 50Hz PAL signal to my projector, the image refreshes at 200Hz. If I send a 60Hz NTSC signal, the image refreshes at 240Hz. Are there any scalers for reasonable money (circa £500), that would allow me to convert a 50Hz PAL signal into a 60Hz NTSC signal? Going beyond that, are there any scalers that would allow me to convert a 50Hz PAL signal to 72Hz or even 85Hz? My thinking behind this 85Hz x4 = 340Hz thus less rainbow, or would this just result in a flickering image?

Thanx for your help!

ZippyCat

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    ZippyCat

You'll have your DLP hovering if you get that colour wheel spinning any quicker :)

I fear you'll be introducing as many visible artefacts as your curing if you start to introduce Frame Rate Conversion into the party.

If you want a fully user configurable Video Processor without spending a fortune the Lumagen VisionDVI is currently on Special Offer at £695.00 - down from its usual £815.00 SRP.

The Lumagen will give you as much adjustment as your likely to ever require and allows you to experiment until you find the ideal settings for your set-up.

Best regards

Joe

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I think youll also find that even if you send higher than 60Hz refresh rates...and assuming the dlp accepts hgher refresh rates.....it'll just do its own FRC back down to 60Hz.

Gordon

4. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Joe & Gordon thanx for the replies.

I suspect you are correct with the frame rate being converted back down to 60Hz for 72Hz and 85Hz signals. I am still interested in looking at converting 50Hz PAL into 60Hz NTSC to gain that extra 40Hz on the colour wheel, after all it is another 20%. I will definitely get a scaler for this reason, but I would also like to make an improvement on the internal scaler. Once again thanx!