1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scaler, or new amp/reciever?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ellispa, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi All

I have both a plasma screen and a projector, and hooking all of them up to all of my sources (Sky+, DVD, XBOX, potentially SKY HD and PS3 etc) is a bit of a juggling act.

I would ultimately like to hook all these bits into one device, and then have two HDMI/DVI outputs I could then feed to each screen, so only one lead has to be trapsed around the room.

My initial thoughts were to get a new amp. I currently have a Denon 2802, which has video switching, but doesn't convert anything to anything else, so not really what I want. As a Reciever, its great, it just doesn't do that. So I could buy one of the new range of recievers that provide video upscaling to HDMI (there are a couple of PIONEERS on their way that looked promising) that would also be a couple of generations ahead of my current Denon in terms of sound processing etc.

Or I could get a scaler that would handle all that, feed that into the Denon for sound and out to the projector/plasma via some sort of switching box. Unless there are any scalers that can output two HDMI signals!

Cost wise, it would be about the same (£8-900).

Any opinions/information/other solutions, very welcome.

Cheers

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Paul,

You could use a Lumagen DVI and a dsitribution DVI DA to do what you want. Would probably be around budget and should give you superior image quality to the processing supplied in a surround sound amplifier.

The Lumagen has memories that would allow it to be configured for both your display devices on the output side. You would send one IR command to it dependant on whether it was PJ or plasma you watched. The scaler would then detect whether your source was 50 or 60 Hz and load up approriate input/ouput configuration for your display.

Gordon

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Basically do you want better sound or a better picture? The AV amp solution will give you an increase in sound quality, and an easier video cabling solution. But is not actually improving the video signal in any way. If you are happy with the Denon as is, then of course add a scaler for massive improvements in picture quality as well as your video cabling solution sorted.

As Gordon has said, the Lumagen is very suited to this job with it's memories for managing dual displays, but also with it's two DVI inputs where most other processors of this price range only have the one (or none). A DA on the end to run two DVI feeds is no biggy to add in.

4. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

It was a option I hadn't really considered, but a scaler seems to make sense much more than a new reciever when I think about it, especially as I am perfectly happy with the Denon, and its definitely a better picture I want.

Are there any scalers coming out that have more than the 2 in 1 out arrangement on the lumagen DVI. I am more than likely going to buy an xbox 360 or an PS3 at some stage, so will then have 3 digital inputs (Sky HD, DVD Player and games console), and things might get messy again if I need another switchbox into the scaler as well as the one when the signal comes out.

Or are there any scalers that have two digital outputs?

And just to confirm, the lumagen scaler upscales everything to DVI (composite, S Video and component), right?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The Lumagen scaler will transcode all analogue input signals to DVI output, yes.

Gordon

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The only scaler I know of with that much connectivity isn't out yet and is gonna be more than 4 grand!!

A switcher to switch between consoles on one of the DVI inputs of the VisionDVI will be fine.

7. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks again, Gordon and Liam.

Cripes, £4k for a couple of extra inputs and outputs! No doubt with a load of other top of the range processing thrown in.

I've got a Pannasonic AE500 projector and a Hitachi 7200 plasma. On the plasma front, does the Lumagen have any problems with 1024x1024 ALIS screen?

And what about lip sync? I notice that on your site, Lyam, you actually had a deal for the lumagen and a lip synching device combined (why do I always think about buying after the deals end.... Grr!). Does that suggest that I will have lip synching issues as well (esp to the projector, which will be run of a 10m cable)?

And what lead would I need to connect my Sky+ box to the lumagen?

Sorry to pester you with questions, but thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    The best way is to demo both, which i know is easier said that done with a scaler.

Where are you based, if you are close you can demo mine or maybe someone else closer to you may offer.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The 4k I was thinking of is the new Crystalio II due end of this year. And yes the input side is not the only reason for the massive price, the massive processing power is!

Back on point though. THe Lumagen has no problem with your two displays, however I haven't used either a great amount and I know the Hitachi at least is not able to be run at native resolution (1024x1024) - best results tend to be gained running 720p. This could be advantageous though since the Panasonic would appear to run best at 720p too (which is the projector's native res) so you will not need to flick between two different output resolutions when switching from plasma to projector.

Lip sync is just noticeable on DVD, and very noticeable on some Sky channels (even on your normal TV you can just notice some channels that are inherently out of sync). Unfortunately the one thing your Denon lacks is an internal delay adjustment!! Typical. I would give it a go without delay compensator first just in case you get on fine (you have done thus far, despite your current displays introducing a video processing delay right now!). Then if you find you need it I'm sure whichever dealer you go to will offer you a good price. However the Lumagen VisionDVI summer offer is well and truly over so I'm afraid you have just missed the bargain of the season!!

Sky+ requires scart to RGB+Sync cable which most video processor suppliers would keep in-stock. We and others use Van Damme cabling for this.