1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler/ Line doubler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon69, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Now I have my projector running smoothly I was thinking about getting a scaler like the quadscan or a HTPC. Most people think that the the Quadscan is obsolete and that the sound from HTPC's is pants. Any suggestions, or experience on the subject?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    How much money do you have to spend on this and what will you be using it for (SKY, cable, games colsoles, DVD, etc)? How much time do you have to spend doing research and tweaking? What is your computer literacy level? Is your DVD collection mainly R1 or R2? What projector do you have? Does 3/2 pulldown artifacts bother you (pan judder)? Which DVD player do you have? What sound system do you have?

Hopefully if you answer these questions I (or someone else) will be able to come up with an answer for you. The problem is that the perfect solution doesn't exist so its a case of finding something that best meets your needs. Certainly the Quadscan isn't obsolete (yet), since there is very little in its price range that can match it. HTPCs don't have an issue with sound quality as long as you get the right components.

Jeff

3. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was thinking somewhere in the price regeon of a quadscan, I will just be using my DVD at the moment but may connect it to my NTL box in the future (if NTL are still going next week!) I have an NEC 9PG+ and a mixture of R1 and R2 disc's. I have a Denon 3802 amp and a Pioneer DVD player

I have built loads of computers so that does not bother me, just after the best solution for budget.

Hope this is some help.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sounds like HTPC it is then, have a look at the HCPC forum, also have a good read of the AVS HTPC forum at www.avsforum.com. The right components and configuration are VERY important includeing the less obvious such as PSU, don't rush in, evaluate each component and go for tried and tested solutions such as TUSL2 motherbaords, PIII processors, Enermax PSUs, Radeon video cards.

Jeff

5. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, I will look into the HTPC end, what is a good soundcard with DTS?DD passthrough?

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    An M-Audio Audiophile or DIO 24/96 would be a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.