1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Inputs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by schmidtsm, Jul 5, 2005.

1. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I have a CS-1 that does not have HDCP DVI input. I would like to know if I used a DVI to VGA adapter (DVI output on my Scaler to VGAinput on my NEC PG 6 projector) would i be able to view the DVD. I would like to know before I go out and buy expensive cables. Or any other solutions?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Why don't you use the analogue rgb output of your scaler instead of a DVI to RGB adapter?

Do you want to send DVI out of your DVD player to the scaler for it to turn it in to analogue RGB? What is the DVD player?

Gordon

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Why do you want to use the DVI output at all? Is it because you want HDCP compatibility, because the CS-1 cannot support that; only the CS-2 unfortunately. Focus Enhancements will only upgrade by exchange, the rotters, but new CS-2s are cheap, now.

Nick

4. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea what it would cost for CS-2? I would like to use the HDMI output from LG DVD player.

Gordan, I was told that If I use a DVI-A to -RBG adapter I could get around the HDCP of the CS-1.

Any suggestions?

5. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my problems,

My HDTV digital cable box is not being recognizing by the scaler (Maxx-100 which is a Focus Center Stage-1). I tried using the interlaced component A and B on the scaler and is produces a brownish gray screen. I would like to take the 1080i from the cable box and scale it down to 720P via RBG to my projector. I get a decent picture from S-Video on the cable box to the scaler, but no picture out of component. Do you have any suggestions? Have you had any problems like this? Is there some trick or setting that I need to adjust?

I have read up on HDCP input on the scaler and I am slightly confused. Could I buy a HDCP to DVI from my DVD or Digital cable box to the scaler then out via RBG to my Nec PG 6? My understanding is no. Digital in Digital out. Is this thinking correct? If so, is there a work around or solution.

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    If your source is HDCP encrypted, then that's a dead end - you can't use the scaler or the PG6. Legally - but there are ways. Some in the know may send you links by PM if asked. Of course, your source may not be encrypted at all - better be sure of that first.

Just to clarify something - HDCP is not an interface, it is an encryption standard that may be applied to DVI or HDMI interfaces. The CS-1 foolishly has DVI inputs and outputs which can probably interface OK with HDMI equipment with suitable cables or adaptors, but not where HDCP is used.

Where scalers can accept DVI or HDMI with HDCP enabled, they are compelled to output ONLY HDCP encoded DVI or HDMI - the analogue outputs are always turned off. Where HDCP is not applied, digital and analogue inputs and outputs can usually be used in any combination.

If you are having problems with component inputs, try and find out what does work. Using s-video is a good start, because it shows the output is working OK. Obviously, you must have component selected on the input menu, but also see if using s-video changes any of the output menu settings. When you connect component, can you see the usual menus on an otherwise blank screen? Can you change the input source from the front panel without getting the "?" that indicates no input is recognised?

Have you tried downloading a recent SW build from Focus?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You won't get anything connecting HDTV into the interlaced component inputs even though 1080i is interlaced. I imagine those inputs will not understand high resolution signals (I may be wrong - just hazarding a guess). There is one progressive component input, although I don't know if it accepts HD resolutions either! Give that a try. Otherwise you might wanna try connecting into the VGA input.

You have no HDCP compatibilty with your scaler at all. You would need a box of tricks to strip HDCP (which is simply protection software embedded in a signal, not a signal or connector type) from a digital signal. Even then it's digital in, digital out. If you used a box of tricks to turn HDMI/DVI into analogue RGB in order to connect to the scaler, then you might just as well use the original analogue outputs from the HD and DVD!!! The quality would be the same.

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Focus appear to be selling the CS-2 for $999, or $1199 with SDI

http://www.focusinfo.com/products/centerstage/centerstage.htm

The CS-1 accepts 576i/50 on the interlaced input,
    480p/60 on the progressive input,
    720p/60 on the DVI input,
    and 1080i on nothing, sadly!
    The VGA input is just a pass through, with only picture adjustments.
    The CS-2 won't help with any of those - only HDCP.
    I think iScan and Lumagen are more flexible on the inputs?

Nick

9. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, basically stick to S-Video in 480i and use the scaler to upscale to 720P. Thanks, guys

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    What country are you in?

If you are going to input 480i, may as well use component!

11. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the USA.