1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler in projector better than progressive scan DVD players?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Godfather, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I was surprised to find that I get better pictures by using the interlaced output of my Toshiba 900E to feed my Sony VW12HT and let the pj's deinterlacer do all the work, compared with using the Tosh's NTSC progressive output. I also tried it with my Pioneer 757 but this time couldn't tell the difference between it's progressive output and the Sony pj's deinterlacer.

Has anyone else tried using their pj's internal scaler with good results?

2. xa200

xa200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my 12 wired up with both an interlaced picture and a progressive picture. The interlace comes directly from my tagdvd32r using component and the proggesive through my av192r using RGB, there is less grain using the progresive picture and a more cinematic image, however it is suprising that there is not such a significant difference between the two. The scaling inside the 12 is very effective as i would have expected a much better image using the psm module. This has led me to shelf my plan to buy the tag scaler as i cannot anticipate that the benefit this would give over the cost would be insufficient.

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have been using a pioneer dv 656 paired with my Sanyo Z2 and i have been using the Projectors internal de-interlacer to have a progressive picture, i was surprised as the pq is a lot better than my Denon 2800mk11, which i only got for its progressive scan capabitlities.
    But i think the dvd player has a very bad firmware version atm and i am sure the picture i am getting now is not as good as the optimum picture.
    cheers
    fred

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Can't speak for the sanyo but the sony is regarded as having some of the best on-board processing around for a digital projector. Probably explains the lack of visible improvement with an offboard solution.

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Oh really? That good news because it may save me from wasting money on a new PAL progressive DVD player. The Sony seems to deinterlace NTSC and PAL sources equally well.

6. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well just spotted this.

I have the 12ht, and Im running it through a hivizone philips 962sa, pal prg.

this unit has 2 sets of components on the rear, one set with progessive on and the other without.

so you i should give it a go on the the non prog you think?

any views, I no the 12ht has a good on board setup.

Darren

7. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Definitely give it a go. I recently demoed a Denon 2200 at home and the Sony's internal scaler is at least as good. At the moment I'm feeding it with an interlaced signal from my Toshiba 900e and I doubt I'll change the player any time soon. My next upgrade will probably be an external scaler.

8. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes when I got the philips 962sa people said that you should use the prog outs, and not the inerlaced.

as you say some say the 12ht has one of the best internal scalers going.

Darren

9. LFC - Rich

LFC - Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the HS20 has a decent scaler ? I've ordered the HS20 and am thinking of buying the SONY DVPNS730 with progressive scan and component output.

Any comments appreciated on best dvd player to use for under £200.

Thanks,

Rich.

10. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to put this right:

Scaling has got nothing to do with deinterlacing. Scaling refers to the matching between source and screen resolution.

You obviously compared the deinterlacing of the players, as most players don't offer internal scaling (only e.g. Amisos/Nintaus or Pio 868). They just output the native DVD resolution (for PAL, that's 720x576), so it's up to the PJ to do the scaling.

Cheers,
    Gomez

11. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the prog scan is still done through the normal outputs?

what output would you use if you had the 12ht, the prog or interlaced? remember the philips 962sa uses
    Faroudja DCDi) chip

Darren

12. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Darren,

If you want the 12HT to do the deinterlacing, use the interlaced componenet outputs on the Philips. My DVD player has only one set of component outputs so I just go into setup and select 'interlaced'.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    To put this into perspective, I have a Sony VW11HT (which uses the same de-interlacer as the VW12) and a £2500 Denon Progressive scan DVD player (DVD-A1).

IMO, The Sony's de-interlacer is good enough to forget about progressive scan players altogther.
    The image is slightly smoother using the DVD players de-interlacer (and so it ought to be!) but it ain't chalk and cheese!
    Occasionally shadow detail seems marginally better using the Projectors onboard de-interlacer (and yes I recalibrated for interlaced and progressive sources).

Additionally, the Projectors de-interlacer exhibits no audio lag whatsoever, and this simplifies matters when compared to switching between interlaced and progressive sources.

Whilst there are some films that benefit from the Denon's de-interlacing, att the cheaper end of the DVD player market I would say forget worrying about progressive scan.
    A good quality interlaced player, fed to the projector via high quality component video cables is all you should worry about.

14. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    HI, very silly newbie q's here:

firstly I have a jamo dvr50 player that can output a pal/ntsc prog scan picture.
    I've connected it to a PAnny Ae500 projector.

I thought that the proj itself tries to de-interlace any signal recieved, so inputs should be interlaced? (i've defaulted the component outs from the jamo to give interlaced now)

If I send a prog signal from dvd to proj, the picture has darker lines coming and going randomly on the picture. Is this because the proj is detecting progressive YPbPr and switching off its de-interlacing chip allowing me to see the Jamo's deinterlacing chip's efforts (which isn't as good)? Or is the proj not able to convert the incoming prog signal to prog scan (as it already is) so it can't quite cope and shows an interference type picture?
    Or is this how you're meant to do it and I've done something wrong?

Can anyone help?

I'm going mad.......(der than usual)

PS the lines aren't green or sparkly (like normal interference). Also, they don't go across the whole screen but only in certain areas (eg, LOTR EE in the menu, just before the book page opens, they're to the left of book, they re-appear for a flash in the map of mordor in the Kate Blanchett introduction, and then at the battle, and randomly then on).
    The lines are actually just darker shades of what's underlying them

If I change the jamo's outputs back to interlaced component, this stops happening and the picture quality is excellent with not a hint of flicker.

(By reading the above posts, I reckon the projectors prog scan is far better than the JAmo's)