1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Help (Please)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ajax, May 11, 2004.

1. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

What would offer the best picture.

1) A decent HCPC with all the relevant software,

or

2) A scaler such as the Lumagen connected to a Denon 2200?

Either of these would be fed into a Panny 500 via DVI or component.

Thanks,

Ajax.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably the PC IF you got it setup and running right. There is also the major concern of keeping it running as well as updating and debugging and all of that jazz. The Lumagen and dvd player option will be very close behind (maybe the new lumagens might even be better) but there will be absolutely no question of interfacing and stupic pc issues. If you were using the lumagen with an sdi dvd player, I suspect the picture might be better than the PC

ad

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Well I think you need to wait until the Lumagen devices are done before making any comparisons like that. There are plenty of reasons why a Lumagen may actually be better just as there are reasons why a PC may be.

Gordon

4. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Gordon,

Based on what is available now what would your advice be?

Ajax.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    It's a non question. Lumagens have a fixed design and should have consistent output quality, as should many other scalers.

HTPC's are massively variable even when using same components inside. What is a decent HTPC?

You need to view both and choose which artifacts you find least objectionable.

Gordon

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Gordon..... as I said, there is no doubt the HCPC is capable, but it can take forever to get there and still no guarantees..... I can say this because I have been using an HCPC for about 2 and half years..... recently I moved it on in favour of a lumagen.....

ad

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    true, you pays your money etc..but, there are off the shelf HTPCs available from EPC and Uvem where all of the setup and configuration is done for you, so a PC can be user friendly as well.

The key though in both cases is maintaining the digital path as cleanly and for as long as possible from the DVD to the display device, so for a PC that is either DVD playback software or a hardware mpeg decoder & dscaler solution, and for a non HTPC setup that is best served by an SDI DVD player and SDI scaler as buns mentioned..there are choices here too (not just from Lumagen :))
    happy viewing!

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Dave, wasnt meaning to imply the lumagen was the only one, but im biased!

Although you can get presetup pcs, they are starting to cost the same as a processor and sdi player anyhow and I dont know how video and audiophile the makes of them are..... I dont want to imply they are not good (i havent seen them) but if you really want quality with the pc, you should probably be doing it yourself....

ad