1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler for Hitachi 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Neil69, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I've read in Home cinema choice mag that I need a scaler for my Hitachi 42PD5200 so that I can watch high def in 720p50 from Sky when they start in HD next year. Can anyone recommend a good one? One that doesn't cost a bleedin' fortune.
    Cheers, Neil.
    :) :) :)

2. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,
    I use a DVDO iScan with a Hitachi 42PD5200 with good results (see other thread in this forum). However my reason for using it was to overcome some of the processing artifacts that the Hitachi throws up. If your only reason for the scaler is to receive the 720p50 Sky signal through the DVI socket then you may wish to wait. I understand that Sky will also be broadcasting 1080i50 which does work directly with the Hitachi.
    There was much discussion on the Hitachi thread about the 720p signal being "better" as the 1080i frame is clipped by 56 lines before display - however when testing the output of the iScan with a 720p60 signal I got exactly the same amount of overscan. In practice this overscan is not a problem with real pictures - it is equivalent to losing approx 1/2 an inch all round on your 42" display (unfortunately it is not enough to lose the sky cahnnel logos and red buttons off the screen!!).
    I hope this helps

dave

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Sky have actually said that they as a broadcaster intend to use 720P but that the platform itself will be capable of working at 1080i if other broadcasters wish to use that resolution. What has not been found out yet is whether the box itself will be able to set to output only 720p, output only 1080i, or output whatever is being broadcast with no user intervention(my preferance).

My own experience with this display is that 1080i appears to have least rescaling processing done by the panel but that 720P tends to look better. The good news is that it is possible to improve image quality with external processors as well as protect you from possible incompatability issues in future.

Gordon

4. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Dave. Does the DVDO iScan HD+ also upscale SD to HD from sources such as S-VHS, LD, DVD & Sky+? If so I think I'll buy one pretty soonish. Well at least until I've paid 50% of my plasma.
    Ta, Neil.
    :smashin: :clap:

5. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,
    The DVDO iscan HD+ has 1 DVI input, 2 composite video, 2 SVHS, and 2 component video inputs (which can work as YPbPr or RGB+ Sync). I currently have a DVD player and Sky+ connected. The only "unusual" cable I needed was a SCART to RGB+Sync lead to connect the Sky+ box. This was supplied by the same retailer that supplied me with the iScan. In my configuration, these SD inputs are scaled to 1080i* and connected to the screen on the DVI cable - which appears to suit the Hitachi display and vastly reduced the red/green coloured artifacts that I used to get whenever there was movement in the picture.

* I currently use 1080i60 as opposed to 1080i50. Comparing the two I found that 1080i50 gave a smoother movement (ie no judder) but 1080i60 gave the least colouring artifacts . Note : Both are better than the screen alone.

Regards

Dave

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Neil

An external Video Processor cant turn SD into HD as such - it can up convert your Incoming signals to give you the best match with your Display and hopefully minimise how much processing the Display undertakes on your signals; the premise being that the External box is a better processor than the Plasma Display.

You have to look carefully at the spec sheets for any Processor your considering to ensure its fully compatible with what you require - some wont do anything with HD signals whilst others can convert and process both SD and HD.

The DVDO iScanHD+ (SRP 1,000.00) and Lumagen VisionDVI (SRP 815.00) are both worth considering with your Hitachi - its also worth mentioning that both units are pretty powerful and a fair amount of 'fiddling' (system optimisation) can ensue when you first introduce one to your system.

Best regards

Joe