1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Does improve Sky

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by raydundas@bluey, Dec 24, 2004.

1. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a few posts, asking whether a scaler can improve Sky to any great extent. Well, Gordon came and installed my Lumagen DVI scaler yesterday and it makes a great difference. I did pay to also have it properly setup and it was well worth it. Smoother, more filmic image, less digital noise and really just a pleasure to watch. I am using it with a Pioneer 50 MXE1. DVD has also improved and Finding Nemo is looking nothing short of stunning.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice one mate :smashin:

Did you get Gordon to calibrate it too while he was there ?

If you don't mind me asking what timing settings are you running your Lumagen at ? I assume your using FRC mode 2 and DVI output.

Cheers, Lee

3. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God yes, or I would have been lost. I got the full Video calibration. Don't know the timings Gordon used. Said they were Pioneers recommended timings. With Christmas, not had a chance to delve into lumagen menu and note down any timing info. Do not know if the Pioneer timings are regarded as trade secrets, for an incentive to use a proffessional installer, or if Gordon will give them to you. You would need to ask. Yes I had the set using FRC2 and am using DVI from Lumagen to Plasma.

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In that case he probably got them from me as I asked Pioneer what the optimal timings were and they sent me a few documents one listing all the various mode and timings...just wondered if he used them or not...or if he'd found something different/better...have you joined the official forum yet ? I posted a bit of info on there about it.

Reason I asked is that I'm having a spot of trouble with smearing of skin tones - on faces especially - with both DVD and Sky+. Have you noticed this at all ?

Been speaking with another 50MXE1/Lumagen owner who has also had his setup calibrated by G and he has not noticed it so I am hoping when I get mine calibrated it will clear up.

Gordon is due to pop by again in early Feb as he set mine up for my PJ but I've since added the MXE1.

Anyway...glad your pleased with the results.

Cheers, Lee

PS: Happy Xmas

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Merry Christmas....just off to meet rest of family for the whole 9 yards but had to pop over to the forum to see what was what today...

I did use the timings Lee provided from Pioneer. I am going back to Ray's to check a size issue he had after I left. Not sure when though.....if I get the chance I'll try to check the issue you have seen Lee.

Gordon

6. Scott KL

Scott KL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee,

I have a 505-HDE with a 868i DVD player connected via HDMI and satellite receiver connected via S-video. I am about to get a test unit iScan HD+ installed [dealer waiting on HDMI-DVI cables] to see the difference in picture quality for both satellite and DVD feeds and will post my findings in the New Year.

I am putting faith into the dealer to set up the iScan HD+ correctly. I will have a calibration disc on standby but was wondering whether the documents listing the optimal timings of the pioneer plasmas would also apply to the iScan unit as well as the Lumagen. I assume these timings etc. are to do with frame rate conversion, etc. I am still a little lost when it comes to video processing so would appreciate any help from the experts to get the most out of my system. Are these documents readily available from Pioneer, where is the best place to get hold of these?

One other quick question (to all); the iScan dealer says I do not need to connect the satellite analogue audio feed through the iScan unit to deal with potential lip sync as the iScan can deal with this even if audio is fed direct from STB to amplifier. I thought the iScan HD+ put a delay in the audio due to the extra video processing?

Appreciate your feedback.

Scott

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Iscan HD (not played with HD+) can adjust the timing ie delay the DIGITAL audio feed for a source i could not delay an analogue feed from SAT box to AMP so i think he (OR I) may have crossed wires...........

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Scott,

I'm afraid that the timings I have are specifically for the MXE1 range of plasmas and were useful as it gave us the correct timings to get a 1:1 pixel-mapped output from the Lumagen using the official timing data. I've not played with an iScan but the timings should work fine with it as well.

With the 505HDE your best bet is to set the iScan to output 720p at 50Hz for PAL and 59.94/60Hz for NTSC as you are not able to send the panel it's native resolution of 1280x768 directly so you'll have to rely on the panel to scale the image from 1280x720 to 1280x768…not ideal but not the end of the world either.

Cheers, Lee

9. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD+ will automatically delay the input audio to match the video processing delay. The manuals don't state that this is specific to either digital or analogue (audio) inputs.

I also don't believe it would slow down an audio source, if that source was not routed via the HD+ :)

Hope this helps.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sekrof can you delay analogue audio in HD+ was sure it was only for digital inputs on HD

11. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification Horny.

Best wishes.

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Doesn't everyone on this formum have Sky+ or if not Sony Digiboxes? (Both with DIGITAL sound output? ;))

StooMonster

13. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not me :) I have to wait until Jan 17th until the Sky people can climb a ladder & plug me up for Sky+. At present I'm stuck with plain SkyDigitial and a very old Panasonic digibox (groan).