1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler confusion

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kayemd, Mar 29, 2005.

1. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its me again - well after harping on in a previous thread about how dissapointed I am with sky+ PQ on my new pio 435 (engineer coming to look at the weekend) I am curious about scalers?

Other posts seem to suggest using one will give me a much better picture? How? How much do they cost? can you get an engineer to set one up in your house and if you are happy with the improvement buy?

Thanks

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    you are looking at about a grand and i think that the guys who do the calibration (another £250) will bring one along and see if you maybe want to buy one :) for more info do a search on iscan hd+ and lumagen

3. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A grand is a lot considering I just spent almost 3K!!! maybe I will just get JL to refund my money and reconsider this Plasma thing? Really dissapointed. Oh well, live and learn

4. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Your 435 has media box, so you will not get the full benefit from a scaler.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    let's hope teh engineer can sort it out...as you say £3k is enough to spend!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't just give up on it, you may have made the wrong purchasing decision for your own preferences, but only may. It could be faulty, it could be that your description is not good and you have classic FDE picture, I don't like it either. A scaler will improve it, or IMHO for SD sky, the Viera from JL would do the biz too, no good for HD sky though. When does the engineer come?

7. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Maw - Engineer out on Saturday, I'm sure he will see what I am talking about - even the mrs. is complaining 'home and away' doesn't look good!! (I told her at 30 she is to old to watch that crap!)

Maybe the Viera would better for me - does it handle sky pictures better? Or is it worth hanging on for the new viera, any idea when that is out?

Whats IMHO for SD sky?

Thanks

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    if home and away looks bad (other than in sense of dire acting) you have probs as its filmed in hi-def apparently and also channel 5 broadcasts are among the best for pq

9. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep (i know its shocking acting) but the amount of solarisation over the faces was bad! but then other shots such as the beach look great - very strange?

10. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sorry to see that you aren't happy with the PQ from your 435. The media box isn't too clever and a scaler can be the solution by converting your inputs to a DVI output and so allowing an HDMI input to the plasma. This gets round some of the problems with the media box.

Scalers do much more than just altering the input / output resolution - they can process the incoming signal, removing noise and other artefacts, sort out errors such as chroma upsampling, allow overscan correction which may not be correctable in the plasma panel, and with some scalers give the professional calibrator the opportunity to set up the greyscale far more accurately than can be achieved even using the service menu controls of the plasma. Memories for each input can be set to account for the vagaries of the source devices.

To put that more succinctly - scalers are good news. But...they cost. Budget for at least £600, and I would suggest £800+.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    on my screen it's nearing dvd quality...not that I watch it you understand, other than to see really good pic on sky now and then......so it does sound like you may have a prob that hopefully your friendly neighbourhood engineer can help with.

12. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers - Think I will wait to see what the engineer says on sat - If I had bought a panny monitor for about 1500 -1700 i woudn't mind spending another 800 on a scaler but 3K was my budget and there isn't much left!

13. kayemd

kayemd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Mep at least you are making me feel better that there must be something wrong if you are getting almost DVD quality on H&A.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO, humble opinion. Standard definition = SD. Sky SD is what you have now, the current panasonics do it well. The new ones should, being based on my panel, the PHD7, do it even better and be HDTV compliant. May is the date for these, and will be within budget. But I reckon unless you are very picky, your 435 can be made to work for you.

And Mep, I'd be seriously upset if I'd paid for a DVD and found it to be H&A quality! Scooby doo is more believable.