1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Choice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gwc, Oct 6, 2004.

1. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As a newbie to scalers I need some advice. I have just purchased a Panasonic AE700 and I am looking for a scaler that will allow me to take advantage of the HDMI interface. The sources that will be connect to the scaler are:

DVD Player (Not selected yet)
    SKY+
    X-Box
    Playstation 2.

Any recommendations or thought will be most welcome.

Cheers

gwc

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Well, 3 choices really, Iscan HD with the Sil504 chipset (soon to be superseded by the HD+ adding HDCP compatability and 1080i deinterlacing). Also the Crystalio VPS-2300 which uses Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing. Last but not least the Lumagen Vision HDP (Sil504 chipset). Crystalio approx £2200, other two approx £1000. The choice of dvd player could make a difference, ideally I'd go for an SDI modded DVD player e.g. Panasonic RP82 (I'm using this and the PQ is awesome!), and use a scaler with an SDI input (not standard on the Iscan but can be bought as an option on the Lumagen). The SDI output is the best to use and is interlaced with no macrovision therefore providing your scaler with the best possible signal to work with. If you don't get an SDI modded dvd player then HDCP comes into the equation, none of the aforementioned scalers are currently HDCP compatible but the HDP will be by firmware upgrade, the Iscan HD won't be ever I believe (hence the forthcoming HD+) and the Crystalio will be, again I believe by firmware upgrade. Personally I'd go for the HDP with 2 SDI inputs and BNC outputs (see www.crtprojectors.co.uk or www.tmfsolutions.co.uk) , you can then hook it up to your plasma and your projector and with the press of a button have it outputting native res on each display. For the price the performance is fantastic!
    Don't be tempted to spend a fortune on an SDI modded dvd player, you'll be paying for all the deinterlacing stuff/video processing etc that you won't be using, I find the RP82 fantastic value, combined with one of the above scalers you'll have a really fantastic picture!

Hope that helps..

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info and tip about the DVD player.

Do you know if the output (DVI) of these scalers is compatiable with the HDMI input on the AE700? As I was assuming that I would be able to run a single HDMI cable from the Scaler to the PJ.

Is there a big picture quality jump between the Lumagen and Crystalio as indicated by the price?

Cheers

Gary

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    You can run a HDMI cable to the projector and use a DVI to HDMI adaptor at the scaler end. I've got a DVI cable running to my projector and use a DVI -> HDMI adaptor at the projector end at it works fine (I've used the Crysalio and HDP , can't vouch for the Iscan HD).

Cheers
    Andy