1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler any good in Pioneer PDP-435XDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Lizzard, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking of going the route of a Panny TH-42PHW6 and a Iscan HD+ scaler.

However i have noticed that the Pioneer PDP-435XDE has come down in price to the same level as the above Panny and scaler.

The 435XDE is a TV-plasma, but that doesn't really matter as i am after the best picture.

How does the scaler in the Pioneer perform? any good?

Why i am tempted by the 435XDE is the HDTV ready thing, it got HDMI and supports the required 50Hz signals.

If i connect my Denon 3910 thru HDMI to the Pioneer, would that give the same or worse or better picture compared to the Iscan HD+ connected to the Panny?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A matter of taste. Both would be very very good with the proposed setups. However, both TV and any external non digital sources will suffer relatively on the XDE, whereas the scaler will do marvels for all inputs.

3. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sat-receiver with component-output, will that also suffer in picture quality or is it only HDMI sources that will benefit from the good picture quality?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO the screen only REALLY shines with the HDMI input. There is also the hassle factor to consider, as YUV and HDMI are a 'shared' input, and it's not just a 1 button press to switch between them. Any non technical persons in your household will spit on your grave every time they try this.

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you say the 435-series are for dummies and not high-tech interested people but people who just want a PnP solution?

Does the Pioneer scale everything to 1024x768 at 60Hz or 50Hz?

6. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have to say that my 435xde picture is absolutely fabulous fed with a component signal from my TAG player! Can an external scaler really make this any better?!!

7. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Sorry for the dumb question (not my first, nor my last I expect) but can someone give me a quick explanation of Scalers?

If my sources are a Sky / Freeview box and a tosh SD220 DVD, do I need a scaler going in to a plasma (not that I've bought one yet!) ?

Are scalers equally necessary whether I'm buying a SD screen, like the PW6/7 as if I'm buying a HD screen like the Hit HD5200 or the LG 42PX12?

8. smultron

smultron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasn't that the 434? I thought that was one of the things they changed with the new series.

9. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736

Looks to me like component/HDMI are on diferent inputs.

10. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep, that's right: component is on AV2 together with s-vid. HDMI is on 3 with RGB.

My mate had the 434 and I've just bought a 435XDE.

11. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what is the hazzle? can't you just programme the inputs? eg component on remote button 1 and HDMI on button 2?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Beg your pardon you are right on that score. Sorry for confusion caused.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Lizzard

You do like to pose the difficult questions :)

DVD Player - your Player can only output a Non Scaled Progressive signal on its DVI and or HDMI socket; why Denon cant implement Non Scaled Interlaced via HDMI or DVI is a mystery.

So your starting with 480P(60), 576P(50), 720P(50/60) or 1080i(50/60) from the DVD player.

SKY is outputting RGB+ Composite 576i(50).

SKY HD (Jan 06) will be outputting 720P(50) or 1080i(50) via HDMI (or DVI with HDCP).

And I guess any 'legacy' sources you have will be a mixture of Composite, S-Video, RGB and YUV 576i(50) or 576P(50).

The R05 Media Box in the Pioneer PlasmaTV is one of the few devices that will accept all of those source signals and whilst its internal processing is OK its not the absolute best in terms of Deinterlacing and other processes a decent quality External Video Processor is designed to undertake.

The 'Problem' with the R05 Media Box is the lack of a Native rate Digital Video input - so you never get to 'see' the full benefits of an External Video Processor.

If you do feel the Pioneer PlasmaTV is the best 'compromise' and you have the budget I'd still want to have an External Processor in my set up - especially so with SKY; and I'd also budget for an ISF Calibration to ensure your getting the best out of the system.

Personally if I had to choose the best 'compromise' I'd plump for the TH-42PHD7BKJ (1024x768 - Charcoal) Display + HDMI or DVI Input board + External Video Processor + ISF Calibration.

SKY 576i(50) converted to 1024x768P(60) via the External Processor looks more than acceptable on 90% of material - only some 'video' content lets you know you are converting 50hz to 60Hz and with the majority of 'film' content its difficult to spot you are doing the Frame Rate Conversion (FRC).

Please note this is using a Lumagen not a DVDO External Processor - I've only just received our first iScanHD+ so cant say how successful or not it is at the FRC.

Best regards

Joe

14. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for a very clear answer Joe. One more question. If Sky will be outputting HD 720P(50) or 1080i(50) via HDMI will there still be a point in adding a Lumagen scaler into the equation before inputting to the R05 media box?

15. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great post Joe!

You helped me alot to sort all fuzz, i can think more clear now in what to go for.

Do you think there is a big difference in terms of picture quality between the new TH-42PHD7 and the old TH-42PHW6.

Why i am heading for the TH-42PHW6 is because i can get a very good deal on that, nearly the same price as the new SD panel PW7.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hello Lizzard, do you read me? I have told you why this price is 'so good', it's your call on the warranty.

17. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no problem with the warranty,why should it be?

Migh be issues for you in the U.K but i don't live there.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for enlightening us, that's the 1st clue I've seen. Nothing in your profile or other models you have looked at. In that case why not, you have nothing to lose but the fact it's not the latest model, but there are relatively few changes. The DVI board is a bit more problematic on the 6 series, but it's not a major issue.