scaler and 42" v 50"

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobdixon, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bobdixon

bobdixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of changing plasma to either a 42" or 50" PH9. Actually to my mind the 50 is a bit too big for my room but I wondering it would be favourite if using an external processor. Is it correct that 42" cannot do 1-1 pixel scaling or am I just getting confused? If I'm right and assuming 50" will do 1-1 does this make the 50" a better bet if I'm using a processor (HDQ) for example? Or would I notice any difference anyway? :)

Cheers.

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Both 42" and 50" can only do 1:1 at 60Hz. For 50Hz you need to either convert to 60Hz, or run 720p50. The Panasonic will remember different settings for the two resolutions so setup is quite easy. Many people favour small scaling noise over judder, others the reverse.

Since you are going for the HDQ, it actually has memory profiling with one button-press from the remote. You could very, very easily switch between 50-60 1:1 and 50-50 720p or even have Sky output at 720p50 but have DVD and HD output at 60Hz 1:1 (frc on movie material is practically unnoticeable).

The 50" panel is better than the 42" panel. And there's no such thing as too big hahaha!!!