scaler advise

Twan1

Ex Member
Reaction score
i understand that you can get rid of the black letterbox bars on dvds when using a scaler on a projector.

Is this still the case if using aplasma screen?? will it affect the quality of the picture??

Im still trying to decided between the Lumagen HDP or the Crstalio!!! (i've booked a demo in 2 weeks for the lumagen but no where has the crystalio on demo!)

Me again :D

The same principle holds for plasmas as it does for projectors...it should not effect the image quality but you will of course loose a portion of the image if you maintain the correct aspect ratio...which you want to.

You may well have to make a long trip if you want to see the Crystalio is action...I'm sure Henry at CRT Projectors would love to show it off with his Cine 9 CRT projector but he's over in Norfolk.

Perhaps you could get everything else first and then try and arrange for a home trial like I did...I had to pay the full price but then had 14 days in which to return it if it did not suit. This was an offer CRT Projectors were running some time ago but now that thy are the distributors I'm not sure they even sell them to the general public anymore. You coudl also approach PluggedIn.TV who also offered a similar scheme at one time.

Cheers, Lee

Twan1 said:
i understand that you can get rid of the black letterbox bars on dvds when using a scaler on a projector.

Is this still the case if using aplasma screen?? will it affect the quality of the picture??

Im still trying to decided between the Lumagen HDP or the Crstalio!!! (i've booked a demo in 2 weeks for the lumagen but no where has the crystalio on demo!)

See my other posting on the Dvdo scaler, zooming is one of the reasons I bought the thing...only prob of course is all setup bars and signals also disappear from view...the Dvdo has a button 16/9 and User you can switch back and forth though. Works fine on a plasma, why wouldn't it...?
Stll thinking on the PQ now, I'm pretty sure the stretching won't do anything good on the picture, but if it's there it does not strike me as serious...

thanks for your input barend, i must admit, the black bars dont bother me too much but its just nice to know you have an option there to crop!

Hey Lee, im glad this is a free site as im sure all the advice you have given me lately would cost a fortune if not!! :)

Yeah Norfolk's a bit far lol, I must admit im leaning towards getting the Lumagen HDP (quoted at £1400 with the SDI inputs) as Although the crystalio also has a good reputation, its hard to demo one and even if i did, one would have to question if its really worth an extra £900 (think they are about £2100) over the lumagen???? From what you experts say on here im not sure it would be really!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom