1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaler Advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simon Fitz, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

Being relatively new to the world of tweaking the HC set up for the best picture ... I still have my "L" plate ... can someone please expain of provide a link to an explanation of what scalers do and why they are worth the investment ?

... A scalers for dummeys guide would be a good start ...

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Jul 13, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Living in Surrey, covering UK!

Scalers change the input resolution signal to a different output resolution.

Most often they will also incorporate a de-interlacing solution as well.

Some may also do aspect ratio control

Some may do frame rate conversion

Some may have mulitple inputs and outputs like a matrix switcher.

So you can see you get lots of different possibilities for functionality of scalers.

For HT use though this is what they can do.

They will take in PAL, NTSC or interlaced/progressive signals. Where appropraite they will de-interlace them using the best algorithms available for the purpose. Then they will change the de-interlaced signal to an alternate resolution.

Fixed pixel displays already have this functionality built in. The reason you would use an external product is to achieve better picture quality. These things have TV decoders, analogue to digital convertors, de-interlacers, scaler chipsets, digital to analogue convertors, video switching etc inside them. Not all products are of the same performance. De-interlacing film sourced material, video sourced material or PC generated material all requires different methods for best results. Often fixed pixel displays will cut down on costs by using cheap parts in these areas as the bulk of the sales of these things are not for showing moving video.

Methods for scaling vary as well and we haven't even got in to aspect ratio control etc....No time for full post but this should help get the thread going. If I get time I'll pop back with more info