SC-LX71 + KEF IQ SERIES - Good Choice?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hmiguel, Feb 4, 2009.

1. hmiguel

hmiguel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

This "speakers package" it's a good choice for SC-LX71 receiver?

--> KEF IQ90

--> KEF IQ60c

--> KEF IQ30

And which sub you recommend me?

Thank you :thumbsup:

2. hansniew

hansniew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am playing the SC-LX71 with the 'old' iQ series, so iQ9 as fronts, iQ6C as center and iQ5 as rears, and I am very pleased with it up till now. Have to mention that I only have this setup for 7 days now and was not able to fine tune, but the first impression was WOW... much better sound definition than with my previous Pioneer receiver the VSX 916. But the only good advice I can give is to go listen for yourself, because you are the only one who can decide if you like it or not. I know that is not always easy because not all audio sellers have this combination in store.
    Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'm going out this weekend demo'ing the KEF set up you mention (actually it'll be the IQ70's and not the IQ90's as they're a little out of my price range) with the same amp.

I'll also be demo'ing the Monitor Audio RS6 AV package too (minus the sub) which is similar.

I'll try to remember to update this thread with my findings and hopefully my decision on Sunday, but if i forget, drop me a PM and i'll let you know how i got on.

4. hmiguel

hmiguel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hansniew, as you say it's difficult to find stores with this speakers & amp for demo'ing....but i love KEF sound.

richard_t
    , i hope you don't forget to feedback your demo'ing :D

thanks

5. kruez

kruez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just brought a SC-LX71 and looking to power the Kef 3005SE with it. but that was more because I liked the sound from the KEFs and the mrs wanted small speakers.

I'm currently running them with some very old cheap speaker cable just to test everything works, sorry to threadjack, but any reccomendations as to what speaker cables to get??

6. hansniew

hansniew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmiguel, if you already love the KEF sound then I think you won't be dissapointed. The new LX series of Pioneer are different then the older Pio's which were described as harsh sounding. I think the new Ice powered receivers have a tendency to sound 'warmer'.

kruez, I had my KEF's connected with simple Oehlbach copper wiring. I have also tried 'Spirit of high Silver' but could not notice any difference. So my opinion is that you can use a simple copper cable to get good results, but I am sure that there are others that have another opinion in this :D

7. kruez

kruez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was that with your LX71 or another amp? I'd hate for my lx71 and kefs to not show off thier best by buying cheap cables. but in the same breath I don't want to spend loads if it has no effect.

8. hansniew

hansniew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is with my VSX-916 Pio. I have tested the LX-71 with the same cabling and noticed a big improvement in sound quality, but that is because the LX-71 is just better than the 916. As I'm about to move house I have packed the LX-71's in the boxes again, but as soon as we're settled in our new house I will connect them again. And the copper cabling I have is ofcourse not the 'real cheap' kind. It's from Oehlbach and costs around 4 pounds per meter.
    For my new setup I am thinking about wyrewizard spellbinder and dreamcaster, but not sure yet if it is worth the extra money.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just come back from demo'ing and indeed purchasing my new speakers.

Didn't get as far as listening to the KEF speakers due to a slight mix up but in all fairness I don't think i needed to. The Monitor Audio RS speakers sounded absolutely fantastic with the LX71 amp.

Even though the store hadn't had chance to give them much run in time, the speakers were fantastic, displaying none of the brightness or brittleness that i'd expected with the amp combination. They certainly weren't warm and laid back, but that's not the sound i'm looking as they're for a purely film viewing set up. There was plenty of bass (at least enough to keep me going until i can afford the sub to go with them) and loads and loads of detail. I can only imagine that as they wear in the sound will just get better and better. Lovely build quailty too.

Just need to wait for them to arrive in my chosen colour now.:thumbsup: