1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sc 5700 or sc 7205

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joiner, Mar 6, 2005.

1. joiner

joiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got my heart set on a screenplay 5700 but could just about stretch to the 7205 can anyone tell be if the 7205 is worth the extra £1500, as it will be a big stretch

many thanks in advance

Joiner

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The 5700 is not too far away from the 4805 in terms of performance. The 7205 does offer a real performance advantage over the 5700 if you can stretch to it. Consider the 7200 which can be bought for not much more than the 5700 and is also noticeably better.

3. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Keep in mind that, within a year, high def will be available via Sky and disc; I'd advise anyone buying now to be ready for it. In other words, the 5700 might seem a bit old hat come Christmas.

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The real no brainer is a 7200 providing you can get hold of one. I am delighted with mine and in terms of value for money it's right up there.

5. joiner

joiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your inputs, forgot to mention I will be projecting onto a 2500mm 16.9 screen if that makes a difference

6. joiner

joiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only deference between the 7200 and 7205 as far as i can see is 100 lumens and a higher cotrast ratio, am I right? do these two points make a £1000 deference, also Mr Grumpy how noisy is your 7200

many thanks

joiner

7. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought that the throw ratio was different on the 7205 as well and that might be important to you as it was me.
    I suspect that even if you could have both projectors running side by side you would not see enough of a difference to justify £1000 extra but I will say that if the 7205 is really £1000 better then it must be a stunning machine indeed. I am getting used to the noise level now and it is the only flaw with what is otherwise a fab projector. It's hard to quantify the noise level but it is reasonably subtle on all but the quietest material. I tend to feed it fairly exclusively on either footie or films with loads of stuff going on and in either of those situations it is fine.

8. joiner

joiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Mr Grumpy, your right about the throw ratio and as i have set my room up for the 5700 (I could change it) and as it would be a very big stretch I have decided to go for the 5700 I will let you know what I think when it arrives Tues/Wed (got to be a big improvement from my Sharp C20)