SBCRU990 Philips Pronto Pro Colour Touch Panel Remote

wingnut1

Standard Member
I have had many problems with the marantz remote that came with my amp below and need to replace it with one that is family freindly. The pronto pro has been recomended to me by my supplier and i was interested what everyone elses experiences were(good and bad) and whether you would recommend anything else for around the same money.
 

JurgenNL

Active Member
I have the VS-variant of the RU990 (the TSU7500) and I love it because of its flexibility, but to call it family friendly goes to far, I think.

I don't know if there is an universal remote control which is really family friendly.

1. For that it could be nice to have to sets of commands: a 'simple' one with the commands usually used and the complete one with all the commands.
If that would be your aim the Pronto would do nicely.

2. Some people love to have a lot of hard buttons; the Pronto only has a a few (which are programmable and in my opinion enough, but that's very personal).
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
Thanks for that, when i say family freindly i mean that i need a remote that when programmed does what it is meant to and not half a job causing half the components to be on and the other half off. Also i would like to set it up so when "view TV" is pressed all the relevent components turn on and switch to there inputs and the remote control screen automaticaly switches to the sky control screen without having to press any other buttons. DVD, Playstation and Media PC would need to be operated the same way.
At the end of the day i need to reduce the amount of controllers (5 at the moment with two children using them as pretend mobile phones) and have a simple operating system for my wife to use during the day.

How does the Nevo SL compare with the pronto pro?
 

clockworks

Well-known Member
Pronto remotes are extremely flexible - they can be made to do anything that the user requires. The downside of this flexibility is that they take a long time to setup. For some owners, a Pronto becomes a hobby, tweaking and tinkering for hours to achieve the perfect setup.
You can easily spend a full week getting a reasonable setup working, then another week getting the graphics looking good. Most definately not a "plug & play" device.

If you've got the time and patience, get one.

If you want a touchscreen remote, but want your dealer to do the hard work for you, take a look at the Nevo SL. Similar price, and a dealer will configure it for a flat fee.

Personally, I find the Harmony range to be more user-friendly. Having proper buttons makes them easier to use, and they are a lot quicker to configure.
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
Thanks for that, My dealer has already qouted to set up the pronto for me as i'm not that interested in "tweaking" but maybe on the graphics side. It's the operation that i'm more concerned with and thats why i need to find out which is the better of the two (prontopro or nevo sl) in operation. Or is there anything better on the market!
 

clockworks

Well-known Member
Take a look at the Marantz RC range. They are functionally similar to the Prontos, but have a different button layout. The top model comes with an RF extender. This is also available as an option for the top Prontos.
The RF extender is a useful accessory, as it means you don't have to point the remote at your equipment - things can go badly out of sync if a code gets "missed". You fit the RF/IR blaster at the opposite end of your room.

If your dealer is going to do the setup, get a remote that he is familiar with. If he hasn't done a Nevo, you don't want to be a guinea pig!

If money's no object, there's always the Crestron range.
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
Thanks for that clockworks, i'm put off with the marantz range as i have the marantz RC3200 of which is dreadfull. My dealer is recommending the pronto pro as he installs them all the time and i haven't approached him about the nevo sl yet.
I'll take a look at the crestron range!
 

clockworks

Well-known Member
What don't you like about the RC3200?

The later models have better screens, different buttons, etc., but the Prontos and RCs all work the same way - a few hard buttons, and a customisable touch screen.

If you think that the RC3200 is "dreadful" to operate, I don't think you'll like any touchscreen remote. If your problems are down to the way the unit has been programmed, that's a different matter. Maybe your dealer will do a decent job with the setup.
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
clockworks said:
What don't you like about the RC3200?

Well, first of all after countless hours of trying to get the macro function to operate everything as it should and not decide when it wants to turn things on and off and switch the correct inputs,
secondly the controller finds it acceptable to completly stop operating at all and i have to remove the batteries and re-install them so it comes back to life! This happens even with new batteries.
Thirdly the general operation through the screens are dreadful as to get to the screen you need you have to go through a sequence of other screens first and each time you press a button you get a delay!
Even though i have set up the macro to turn on the plasma in a chain of commands it refuses to do this but if you go to the tv section on the remote and press "tv on" it will turn it on.
So the answer to your question above is "everything" and the main problem is my wife ringing me at work to ask how to get back to tv as everthing has gone haywire!
 

LFCRules

Well-known Member
wingnut1 said:
.....and the main problem is my wife ringing me at work to ask how to get back to tv as everthing has gone haywire!

:D

You won't have these problems with higher spec'd Marantz models. Although the last one may still exist ;) As others have said though, the Marantz and Philips are just clones of each other in different skins. I've got the Philips TSU7000 (US version of RU980) and it works a treat. Flexibility, and having the flexibility in my hands to change anytime I want via my laptop, are the keys to me. Yes the dealer may do it for you, but that takes away the fun of doing it yourself ;)

You could do what I did, download the Pronto software off the Philips website first, download some other peoples setup's from remotecentral.com, and have a play. I ended up coding my whole system before my Pronto got delivered from the US, but then again I was used to the principle in having a MArantz RC5200 before I upgraded to the colour pronto.

Cheers

Andy
 

JurgenNL

Active Member
Wingnut,

Did you all have a look at: http://www.remotecentral.com/
There you find a lot of information about RC's: tests, fora, datafiles for different RC's.

I have used the Marantz RC5000i. It is a nice RC, but screenresolution is low and its reaction is too slow for me. Therefore I kept using the specific RC's beside the RC5000i (both for my second HC). But the Marantz RC5000i is an old RC.

With the RC990 (or I suppose the RC980 and the appropriate Marantz RC's) I haven't the need for the original RC's.

I don't know which RC suits you best, but for me it would always be one I can program on the PC.
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
LFCRules said:
:D

You won't have these problems with higher spec'd Marantz models. Although the last one may still exist ;) As others have said though, the Marantz and Philips are just clones of each other in different skins. I've got the Philips TSU7000 (US version of RU980) and it works a treat. Flexibility, and having the flexibility in my hands to change anytime I want via my laptop, are the keys to me. Yes the dealer may do it for you, but that takes away the fun of doing it yourself ;)

You could do what I did, download the Pronto software off the Philips website first, download some other peoples setup's from remotecentral.com, and have a play. I ended up coding my whole system before my Pronto got delivered from the US, but then again I was used to the principle in having a MArantz RC5200 before I upgraded to the colour pronto.

Cheers

Andy

Yes you are right, the fun is in the configuration and personiation but i am not interested in setting command after command for small operations like controls in the system menu's for the amp and dvd, and by having my dealer set up the remote i can have exactly what i want without the hickups and a fraction of the time compared to if i did it myself.
As i said though i would be interested in setting up or changing the graphics ect and playing with media centre with it!
 

wingnut1

Standard Member
JürgenNL said:
Wingnut,

Did you all have a look at: http://www.remotecentral.com/
There you find a lot of information about RC's: tests, fora, datafiles for different RC's.

I have used the Marantz RC5000i. It is a nice RC, but screenresolution is low and its reaction is too slow for me. Therefore I kept using the specific RC's beside the RC5000i (both for my second HC). But the Marantz RC5000i is an old RC.

With the RC990 (or I suppose the RC980 and the appropriate Marantz RC's) I haven't the need for the original RC's.

I don't know which RC suits you best, but for me it would always be one I can program on the PC.

Yes i did try remote central for codes ect, but with the existing remote i have i found it a nightmare and never got it to work properly!
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom