• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SB600 and a D200 settings help please!

tontoshorse

Prominent Member
After 93 pages of Nikons finest instruction manual (every page refers you to another page!) I need help....!

At what stage does the camera/flash (call me old fashioned but it ain't a strobe) recognise the exposure required?

For instance if I'm on aperture priority, the camera will meter without knowing the flash capabilty (or does it) and so give me a reading of lets say 0.5 sec @ f10.

When I press the button the flash gives out a preflash to judge exposure and then the camera and flash both fire. However will it overide the 0.5 sec and close the shutter a bit quicker?

Also what would be the recommended settings for hand held night shots when I've had a few beers and can't quite focus myself? :D

No pressure but I'm flying off tonight. :smashin:

Last edited:

Some Bloke

Prominent Member
I've got a D300 and a SB800 and I useless with it.
If the SB600 has got the TTL BL setting, I'd recommend leaving it on that.
The BL setting is supposed to figure out when the correct exposure is reached.

For night time shot, I'd mount the camera on a tripod (if available) and set the camera to slow sync mode.
Then you'll get ambient lighting plus the light from the flash unit.

I'd also search YouTube for SB600 and see if there's any video tuts available.

Hope that helps, good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom