SB3000 subwoofer cable recommendations....

Leo6

Novice Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good sub cable? The interconnect cable should be similar to the 2 channel Hifi cables? As I will be using the subs to play music. It maybe more coherence but just cannot get a deep bass with the similar rca cable. Any specific cables can help to throw it deep?

Unless the cable you’re using now is severely compromised you won’t change the response of the sub by changing cable.

what sub, what length of cable and what size room do you have now?

I’ve had great success and been very satisfied with the Amazon basics range of cables, even for a 5m run. If you want to spend more money then audioquest, qed, chord company are all popular brands.

Conrad...Thanks for your input.

I place it in a open living hall estimate 15x20ft. My interconnect is about 8ft. Japanese cable oyaide. Marantz AV7702mk2 processor sub output to the sub.

In some hifi ads, I come across big brand advertise cables specifically for subwoofer. Suspiciously I might be using wrong specs of interconnect. It could be other issues and not the cable.

I’m quite new in setting up AV but learning everyday. The subs do carry many settings from the apps and possibly not getting the right parameters. Need some time to play around and understand it. At the moment, it doesn’t feels like a real subwoofer. Just feels like more bass but not deep. Hopefully some owners can share the tweaks on SB3000 and I believe this sub is a capable sub. Still searching for clues to optimize the potential.

Almost any well-made RCA cable will work properly, considering that the frequencies sent to the sub are actually very limited in range.

The single biggest thing with subs (in my opinion of course) is where the sub and the listener are located in the room. Because the low bass consists of very long sound waves they don't fit into the room as neatly as the short sound waves of (say) normal music or speech. This means there are areas of the room where these low frequency waves will cancel each other out, or superimpose and cause booming bass. You may be sitting in a spot where they cancel.

Try moving around the room while something with deep bass is playing, even better if you can use test tones on the amp. Also try the sub in different positions in the room. Also try the 'phase' adjustment on the back of the sub, and make sure the crossover on the sub is set to max and the gain set to mid-way.

Your amp should be able to set it all up via the Audyssey sound measurements.

Sounds like you have two questions. One is about the cable, which I think will be fine. Sub cables are usually mono (as opposed to a stereo pair of cables) and better shielded because they're also usually longer. Longer cables are often more subject to interference as, being longer, they're more likely to run alongside or across power lines. A lot of if's and maybe's in there.

If you've got a cable that works and you're getting some signal to the sub and you're not getting any strange noises or buzzing, you're probably fine.

The second issue is around tuning, which is likely a placement issue. If you play bass heavy content (music is fine) and move around the room, does the sound change so that it's bassy when you're in some places and not bassy when you're in other places?

If that's the case you might want to try the sub crawl method. This involves putting your sub on your chair and then moving/crawling around the room until you find somewhere that gives a nice strong bass sound. Put the sub there. The idea is that when you reverse you and the sub, the sound profile stays broadly the same.

There are videos and articles that explain it better than I just did. Google sub crawl method and have a look.

As far as I know though, the SB3000 is a good sub and you should be able to get a decent response in that room (although it's quite a big room for a single sub).

Thanks for all inputs and Im learning new tricks here.

Seems that my sub is probably on either wrong polarity or wrong placement. The bass with my Buchardt bookshelf sounds stronger bass when running without the sub. Will definitely need to do the crawl and try again setting up with Audyssey.

The bass with my Buchardt bookshelf sounds stronger bass when running without the sub.
That is almost certainly a phase issue then. If adding the sub reduces bass then the sound waves from the sub and speakers are cancelling each other out rather than summing together in phase to give a louder output. Time delay and phase controls are what you want to adjust to get this right. You might find it easiest to to play a single frequency (e.g. YouTube video) and adjust the phase to get the loudest sound. Then check with music/movies.

Edit: oh and I agree with the comments of others above cables. Don't get sucked into spending large sums of money on any hifi cable.

Hi , I too agree with all the comments above. I am running dual SB 3000 in my 25 X 15 ft lounge. I am using Amazon basic cables, one of them being 5m and the other one being 15m long. I have placed one sub in front 1/4th room distance from right wall and the other at the rear left against the back wall again 1/4 room distance from the left wall. Diagonally opposite corners of the room.

Regarding the subwoofers cable, I don't think you will achieve a lot of improvement by getting expensive cables. Placement of the subwoofers is going to be the biggest contributor to the experience (besides the subwoofer obviously). I have spent many years and lot of money with various cables, and in my opinion there is very little benefit for the crazy money. Just get Amazon basic subwoofer cables mate.... They are perfect. sb3000 is an awesome sub, just set it up right for your room and enjoy 😀

To get the best results, just experiment with various locations in your room to see where you are getting the best results. Location is extremely important to get the most out of your sub...a well placed cheap decent sub will shine better than poorly placed most expensive sub. Once you get the placement right and if you have right tools (like room equalisation software etc) you can get it to the next level.

Placement will get you 80% success, remaining 20% you can get with room equalisation software and treatment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom