SB-400 Example for new Nikon Owners

mjw123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I know one or two people have recently purchased Nikon's and were wondering whether the SB-400 was worth purchasing - well I for one think it is !

These are pretty much out of cam results, no tripod or fancy settings just shot at 1/100th in S mode. Not the best of results but illustrates the difference the SB-400 makes giving a nice warm natural indoor result

On board flash

DSC_7483.jpg

Sb-400 bounced off ceiling

DSC_7482.jpg

Hope this helps some potential buyers of this little but powerful flash unit.

You'll need to expand them to full size to avoid the pics looking jaggie

Last edited:
May invest in one myself i've recently got a Nikon D90 and have been thinking about buying a flash which isn't too expensive to take some good indoor photos of my 2 day old son :) aswell as some of my almost 5 year old ...good timing on post showing the sb400 is obviously alot better than a onboard flash :smashin:

I bumped into another D40 owner at a wedding an he asked me to illustrate the difference between on board and SB-400 for him....he was impressed even just looking on the small LCD on the camera. Again fairly basic technique used

On Board

DSC_6523.jpg

SB-400

DSC_6524.jpg

Thanks mjw123 I was already pretty sold on an SB400, the difference between bouncing and normal is the reason I want one plus it's very portable and looks great in proprotion to a D40 :thumbsup:

Thanks mjw123 I was already pretty sold on an SB400, the difference between bouncing and normal is the reason I want one plus it's very portable and looks great in proprotion to a D40 :thumbsup:

Agree the two seem made for each other....

I was all set to go and order a Sb400 today and have just missed out on the order time for despatching it today :rolleyes:

But i've noticed different companies also do flashes that fit the Nikon with models such as Metz 36 AF-4 which is slightly cheaper than the SB400 and there's the likes of the very cheap Metz 20 C-2 are they actually any good as im only after a reasonable quality flash for decent photos took indoors at home really and thats about it :rolleyes:

Btw i don't have a clue on flash guns so any info is welcome :smashin: I can get the Sb400 for under £85 delivered which is about the most id look at paying out for atm.

I was all set to go and order a Sb400 today and have just missed out on the order time for despatching it today :rolleyes:

But i've noticed different companies also do flashes that fit the Nikon with models such as Metz 36 AF-4 which is slightly cheaper than the SB400 and there's the likes of the very cheap Metz 20 C-2 are they actually any good as im only after a reasonable quality flash for decent photos took indoors at home really and thats about it :rolleyes:

Btw i don't have a clue on flash guns so any info is welcome :smashin: I can get the Sb400 for under £85 delivered which is about the most id look at paying out for atm.
There's also the Sunpak RD2000 that is small and available for £50-£60, can't see any reviews for that or the Metz so IMO it's probably best to stick with Nikon for the sake of £20 or so, unless someone who owns one can verify they operate just as good as the SB400.

Yea tbh that was my plan i haven't seen much info on alternative flash brands so if no one said there any good on here id just stuck with the Nikon Sb400 which always was the main one i was looking too purchase unless i got told alternatives are decent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom