1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SB 4.1 digital crackling under winXP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Galaxy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

All's been running well for over two years now with the 4.1 digital sound card, until I had to update to winXP, now the card crackles and stutters even when i can get the supposed correct drivers loaded from the Creative site!!! I have all but given up on this card now, can anyone recomend a sound card that will give SPDIF output (digital) as thats all I need to feed my Amp.

And the cheaper the better of course! ;)

Best regards David

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I get the same effect with a phillips card - but only occasionally, usually when viewing media player visualizations (go figure!?). So I guess, avoid the phillips. I sometimes get stutter when playing DVD's (or some mpegs) from the hard disk too. (Windows XP)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had ferocious problems with SPDIF from a Creative 5.1 digital card recently - knew it passed spdif perfectly under W98SE, had been runnig XP Pro for sometime, but only using Prologic. When I got a DD amp and used SPDIF out, it dropped signal sporadically and I had serious video stuttering. Tried every software cure I could think of - reinstalls, turning off apci, messing with PCI latency, all to no avail. Nearly drove me nuts (and back to Prologic !!). Picked up a Santa Cruz card - everything ran perfectly from there on............. could have happily danced on the Creative card.

Seriously recommend you try an Audigy (which doesn't seem to have an issue) or a non-Creative soundcard - Santa Cruz, Philips Sonic Edge or Maudio Revo.

Good Luck,

Sean G.

4. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers Theritz,

I did yesterday (sat) buy a philips card and got exactly the same problem if not worse! I fear it may be down to the update to XP, I think I may have to upgrade the processor and memory to accomadate XP's greater demands, at under WinME it was running perfectly with 850 Duron and 256Meg ram, I think I might chnage that for a Athlon of around 1.5 and fit another 256 stick of ram, it may cure it, and it may not! any other comments are welcome????????? please?????:)

Best regards David

ps, I almost considered returning to WinME and trying PowerDVD 5 with that last night as a last resort, but then relised PDVD 5 requires more processing power to work anyway!

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Galaxy,

Have you tried a format + reinstall of XP ?? I'm running a Duron 1.2 and 256mb of ram and I'hane no processing power related issues. An 850 should be fine for DVD playback.......

Sean G.

6. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No I havent considered that yet, it would mean installing WinME again anyway as my XP is only the update version, considering everything was working fine before I am reluctrant to reformat as yet, thanks for the suggestion though, it will be a last resort!

Best regards David

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    David,

OK I didn't realise it was a true update...............

Sean G.

8. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stumbled across a few sites during a related web search which addressed the 'crackling' problem when using XP. In fact I think there is something on the Microsoft knowledge base. Check MS out first before you start uninstalling or reformatting.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,349
    When I did a format and reinstall on a version of windows which was an update version I didn't have to reinstall the original version. All I was asked for was the original CD for windows and it read it and then carried on installing the new version.

Not sure if this still works with the latest versions though.

Greg

10. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It does still work like that all you need is a proper copy of an old operating system to feed it when asked, it doesnt install any files from it just confirms that you have the disk.

11. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    New computer almost now, 2meg Athlon, 256meg DDR ram, Radeon 7000/VE , Philips 4.1 SPDIF , PowerDVD 5 , DVD Genie 410 , but still the stuttering continues...........bare new install of WinXP too.........hair all pulled out..........maybe go to local multiplex?

Best regards David

12. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ............and I'll bet you still haven't checked the MS knowledge base yet eh?

13. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes I have, and can find nothing related to my specific problem, I have tried different criteria in the search but still no luck, I have even submitted a query online to MS and am awaiting a reply!

Best regards David

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Latest motherboard chipset drivers installed? How about disabling hardware video acceleration (DXVA) in PowerDVD?

I sold an HTPC to calscot a couple of weeks ago which had an SBLive 5.1 installed and he's been stuttering problems under XP when passing S/PDIF to a receiver (Marantz SR4200). When I went round his house to help him set it up it was also making a few weird crackles and pops, but we thought it might be the subwoofer lead he was using as a digital interconnect causing the problems. Reading all these posts I'm not so sure!

Weird thing is that the amp switched modes fine when playing VOB trailers with 5.1 sound (to DD/DTS), but it didn't for the Creative speaker test app (which only sounded on the front two channels) and PowerDVD, which only seemed to have 5.1 intermittently, although I think it was working ok when I left.

Previously, I had the HTPC running very well with an M-Audio Revo and also with the SBLive! - but only using 2.0/5.1 analogue or 2.0 digital output. I do remember the Live! working fine about a year ago, passing 5.1 to a Sony Receiver (STR-DB925) but quite a few things have changed since then and obviously that's a completely different receiver.

Strange and frustrating! Incidently I've also owned both the Audigy and Audigy 2 and had absolutely no problems with multichannel surround via S/PDIF (as is the general trend).

MuFu.

15. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Censored,
    Thanks for trying but if I go to that url, I get an error message saying bad input on a previous from.........

Best regards David

17. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I used to use a Soundblaster 5.1 platinum, and the best/most reliable s/pdif output was using the stone age windows2k drivers that came on the soundblaster CD, but using them in WinXP.

18. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

Sorry, my cock up. Do the following:

Log on to creative.com
    Click SUPPORT/EUROPE/Knowledgebase
    Click Sound - general troubleshooting

The bottom three troubleshooting steps should get you sorted. As a tip, if they don't, visit your mobo makers website and check their knowledgebase too.

19. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers matey,
    I shall trawl through the recomendations, odd that it says disable DMA when all others say make sure it is enabled! oh well, I'll try anything now, even thinking of reinstalling Win98, at least then we can start watching films again!

Best regards David

20. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

I suggest you disable DMA as a LAST RESORT. Try everything else first, and I mean everything. Messing about with DMA has implications elsewhere in Windows that are more trouble than they are worth. My advice, for what it's worth, is to get your mobo bios and chipset firmwares flashed to the latest versions. Then fiddle with XP's settings (but not DMA...yet) and give the MS knowledgebase another look. Don't rely on MS sending a reply, this would be a first in my experience. Look through it yourself and check what you can.

21. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have so far tried virtually the lot including DMA settings, which I found an odd suggestion anyway, as XP sets them to active as default.........I have reactivated DMA and checked all the bios settings trying various combinations, the bios is the latest version and the via chipset software up to date too! This problem has happened with my old creative 4.1 soundcard and the new philips 4.1 card so its not a question of old hardware being incompatible with XP. Tomorrow just for the hell of it, I am going to reload a fresh Win98SE, and try that again, if it works I know its XP causing the problem, and will go from there........

Thanks for your suggestions

Best regards David

22. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

Have you looked at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 264202 and 821995? Might be of help.

23. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks all you chappies for the help, but I have now reloaded a clean WinME minimum load, with PowerDVD5, Philips edge 4.1 (it has a decent SPDIF phono connector unlike the SB cards), Radeon 7000/VE and the results are superb through my projector as before, but the new PowerDVD5 with the CLEV enhancement really does seem to work.........great improvement.

I did get a reply from Microsoft over the Crackling sound through XP and it seems they are aware and asked me to try several things which I had previously tried, but I think I will stick with ME for now, after all it was stable and reliable for the past two years before I wanted to upgrade to XP (mainly just becuase I was upgrading to PDVD5).

Anyway the family are now happy again, and we can get back to some serious film watching............

Best regards David

24. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I tried for ages to solve this problem. In the end disabling the firewire on the motherboard completely cured the problem. (Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro)