SB-2000 Pro too Much??

TruroSpurs

Established Member
Reaction score
Would a SB-2000 pro be considered too much for a small room ( approx 4m x 5m)? I had made my mind up with the SB-1000 pro but have seen a local dealer selling the 2000 pro at a very good price ( need to check as its a very good price) It will be mainly used for movies with occasional use with music and gaming.
Any suggestions and help welcomed

Better to have plenty in reserve than running closer to reserve.

Simple answer is no, there are members with similar or smaller rooms with bigger morr powerful subs.

I always say you can never have a big enough woofer and between the two, you should experience a little more stop start ability due to the control because of the power, but I suspect owning two SB1000 would be better than one SB2000 and it depend upon what you are looking to do in the future

No it won't be too much I'd say about right for a midrange setup. If you're into shaking walls then you might want to get two, or higher end one.

Definitely not overkill at all - see this thread.

According to my estimated output capability table, an SB-2000 should support listening volumes of up to -9dB in a room that size. I would expect the Pro version would be about 1dB more than this so roughly about -8dB volume max.

Would a SB-2000 pro be considered too much for a small room ( approx 4m x 5m)? I had made my mind up with the SB-1000 pro but have seen a local dealer selling the 2000 pro at a very good price ( need to check as its a very good price) It will be mainly used for movies with occasional use with music and gaming.
To add to the others. It's not overkill. In fact I have 2 SB2000 Pro's in my room (4.57m x 3m)!... Mainly to smooth out the bass frequency response, rather than for shear output

No it won't be too much I'd say about right for a midrange setup. If you're into shaking walls then you might want to get two, or higher end one.
Exactly what I've done - it also helps achieve a smooth bass response across the frequency range! 👍🏼

Definitely not overkill - my home theatre/living room is pretty much the same size as yours and I'm running twin SB3000's - couldn't be happier with both movies and music.
Ok, so I'm not driving them like the a/v equivalent of a boy racer, but that's because I don't need to.
And you don't see many 'Oh Bollocks - I've Got Too Much Bass' threads on here ;)

Ok, so I'm not driving them like the a/v equivalent of a boy racer, but that's because I don't need to.
And you don't see many 'Oh Bollocks - I've Got Too Much Bass' threads on here ;)
This did make me chuckle! But it is sooo true 🤣

Definitely not overkill - my home theatre/living room is pretty much the same size as yours and I'm running twin SB3000's - couldn't be happier with both movies and music.
This is very, very true. Best to have it and not need it :smashin:

I might ring up me old mate John and recommend a new Sex Pistols song.

And you don't see many 'Oh Bollocks - I've Got Too Much Bass' threads on here
Hahaha, I for one hate bass, honest :confused::rotfl: the more the better for me.

Once remember being in a nightclub (think it was majestics in Leeds) and they had a huge bass speaker which pummelled your body with deep pulsating bass notes. It was awesome. Also remember a time trying out a huge woofer in the showroom and one of the staff had to make a sharp dash as James Blake’s, Limit To Your Love upset his tummy, we certainly laughed at that once he’d recovered (both true stories) :D

I have a SB2000 Pro and a SB1000 Pro in a similar sized room. The SB2000 goes lower despite both being stated by SVS to have -3dB output to 20hz. In my room and my listening position the SB1000 (blue graph) is -10dB at 20hz, while the SB2000 (red graph) is -4dB at 20hz, I'd go for a 2000 if you can.

subs.jpg

Last edited:
I have a SB2000 Pro and a SB1000 Pro in a similar sized room. The SB2000 goes lower despite both being stated by SVS to have -3dB output to 20hz. In my room and my listening position the SB1000 (blue graph) is -10dB at 20hz, while the SB2000 (red graph) is -4dB at 20hz, I'd go for a 2000 if you can.

View attachment 1652138
Would it likely measure more than -10dB if you were using two SB1000 pro's?

Last edited:
Would it likely measure more than -10dB if you were using two SB1000 pro's?
No idea, but the cost of 2 x SB1000 Pro is more than that of one 1 X SB2000 Pro (or a SB3000 Pro for that matter)...

View attachment 1652138
Have you measured them in same spot both at right side for better comparison? Now it says left and right and we can see the difference in the response elsewhere too as they are spread apart. I would want to see the SB1000 Pro placed right side where the bigger brother is.

Have you measured them in same spot both at right side for better comparison? Now it says left and right and we can see the difference in the response elsewhere too as they are spread apart. I would want to see the SB1000 Pro placed right side where the bigger brother is.
Still seems to show the same thing. SB1000 Pro and SB2000 Pro at left or right positions. A big difference in the 20hz-10hz levels which doesn't appear to be location dependent (in my room, my listening position).

I'm surprised as when I bought the SB1000 Pro recently I thought from the SVS specs the output range would be similar between them, just less power in the 1000. Any ideas as to the falling <20hz response in the SB1000 vs the flat response of the SB2000?

sb12lr.jpg

Last edited:
Still seems to show the same thing. SB1000 Pro and SB2000 Pro at left or right positions. A big difference in the 20hz-10hz levels which doesn't appear to be location dependent (in my room, my listening position).

I'm surprised as when I bought the SB1000 Pro recently I thought from the SVS specs the output range would be similar between them, just less power in the 1000. Any ideas as to the falling <20hz response in the SB1000 vs the flat response of the SB2000?

View attachment 1653164

I remember Ed Mullen from SVS said that the SB2000 has the roll off slope tweaked better to optimize max room gain with more shallower roll off. SVS says in their site that the new SB1000 Pro has the same thing which old SB1000 didn´t have.

If we forget the measurements have you listened each sub individually in same spot and if you have did you find noticeable difference? Just curious. :)

The SB-1000 Pro has a steep HPF to protect the driver at very low frequencies as it lacks the power to control it adequately at higher SPL output levels.

This a quote from Ed Mullen in a conversation I had with him last year about room gain.

“We use a fairly steep high pass filter on the SB-1000 Pro (which can be easily seen in the quasi-anechoic FR) - and this will limit its ability to take optimal advantage of room gain from both an FR and clean output standpoint.”

What is Subwoofer Room Gain

So yet more reason for OP to go with a 2000 Pro rather than a 1000 Pro?

So yet more reason for OP to go with a 2000 Pro rather than a 1000 Pro?
Probably yes if using a single sub. But the 1000 pro can be had intermittently for £549 at the time of writing, so not much more for two than a single 2000 pro. How much an increase in output at 20hz using two, I don't know, but assume it must be a little at least.

If they're in phase you'll get +3dB across the range, but if you want more 20Hz output you'll have to EQ the rest of the range down, giving up headroom.

More subs doesn't get you more extension, it gets you more SPL. Bigger subs/differently tuned subs gives you more extension.

Probably yes if using a single sub. But the 1000 pro can be had intermittently for £549 at the time of writing, so not much more for two than a single 2000 pro. How much an increase in output at 20hz using two, I don't know, but assume it must be a little at least.
Yes, I got mine at £549 vs £899 for a SB2000. But I doubt using two is going to do anything on the limited <20Hz room gain output mentioned by @Mr Wolf

Last edited:
This is the SB-1000 Pro's frequency response chart from the SVS website which shows it rolling off from about 27Hz. Your in-room measurement shows it rolling off from about 29hz so not too different.
1644769860771.png

I'm a big SVS fan but personally I don't consider the SB-1000 Pro to be a great sub for movies.

If you're buying sealed SVS subs for movies personally I would start at the 2000 series, otherwise go for the PB-1000 Pro instead which has more 20Hz output than a SB-16 Ultra such is the advantage of a port.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom