1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying hello - and advice needed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by duncs, Sep 1, 2003.

1. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been browsing these forums for a while and now I feel that it is time for me to say hello :hiya:

While there is obviously some very good advice offered on this site, I am feeling a little overwhelmed with the setup and configuaration of a Cinema System. So, I am turning to you for some pointers.

My main problem at the moment is what TV to go for. This is my current equiptment.

- Sony DAVS550 (my first system so I made it easy for myself :D )
    - NTL Analogue (being replaced with SKY Digital in 1 month)
    - Sony PS2
    - A Video recorder (not used much)
    - Finaly a Goodmans 21in standard TV (dont laugh - :laugh: )

So I have bitten the bullet and decided that the time has come to upgrade.

I did toy with the idea of a 42 in Plasma but given its relative infancy and potencial issues image quality, I couldn't justify taking out a loan. So, I have decided to get a 32in widescreen instead.

This may be a long list of requirements and I understand that they all may not be achiveable within budget (which I shall come onto later)
    - Good for watching Football
    - Good for Action movies
    - Flatscreen
    - 100hz (i think!)
    - Digital Tuner (not 100% needed I know, but it would be useful if I ever needed to plug sky into my spare telly (kids eh!)
    - Picture in Picture (again not 100% but still useful if kids want to watch tv while the other wants the PS2)
    - Suitable for occasional PC display.
    - Looks nice and compliments my other equiptment.

So in summary, I want a TV with good funtionality, connectivity and quality which brings us onto my budget. I had origionaly set aside £600 for a TV but just thinking about spending £4k on a plasma screen has enabled my to justify spending about £1k on a CRT TV.

I realise in the end that quality is subjective and I will test any TV suggested, but any help in reducing the alternatives would be most helpful.

Thanks

D

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncs,

I can highly recommend the Sony FQ70, retails at just under the £900 mark now I think.

I have owned mine for about 6 months now and have been very happy. The picture is very good and doesn't suffer much from being 100hz. The only time you see any blurring is when you get scrolling credits.

The tv does buzz a little, like most Sony's but is not noticeable when watching tv at normal volumes.

I have the DAVS550 as well, this means you could only watch DVD via an S-Video connection, I use S-Video to scart (Monster), as the s-video to s-video means you would have to use connections at front of tv.

The TV does have PiP as well, you can have picture in any corner of the screen and picture just fills top corner.

Also has flat screen, but is not digital integrated.

The tv is v. sexy and looks good with the DAVS550. Only has 2 shelves, but they are stable, with plenty of space between. I have video and cable box on top of each other on bottom shelf.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards

Paul

:hiya:

3. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul. I did have a look at the FQ70 and it looks very nice. However, would I be correct in thinking the FQ70 doesn't have a Composite Input? I guess I am very new to all this, but I would like to use the Progressive Composite output for the best quality picture. Or have I missed something.

The "S Video (DVD Only)" on the back of the DAV is a little misleading. Does this mean that the composite doesn't output DVD or that the S Video won't re-route any video Inputs? The sony site isn't the best in the world so I am a little confused.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncs,

The output you're thinking of is component. The composite output is the lowest quality signal available (unless you include RF) and shouldn't be used with anything other than VHS video.

Your dvd player doesn't have a component output, so I'm afraid that you're limited to the dvd players' s-video output, although the quality of s-video is actually very good. It's far better than composite, but slightly inferior to RGB or component.

Regards,

Bob.

5. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0