1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say What?!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rambo John J, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Aren't Taco Bell an American-only business ie they don't have restaurants outside of the US therefore non-US viewers may not know what/who they are? Seems like a reasonable reason to change the references to it as opposed to leaving the viewers outside the US from sitting there not knowing what the characters are talking about.

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Nope, it can't be.
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Baffled.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I recall reading somewhere that the reason they changed the dialogue from Taco Bell to Pizza Hut for non-US versions of the film was that Pizza Hut are much more common, and therefore, better known, than Taco Bell outside the US. They didn't think we Eurpoeans would understand about Taco Bell.

I've never seen the euro-version of this; it must be interesting looking at people eating that "noveau cuisine" - style MEXICAN grub, in a Pizza Hut; or did they actually re-shoot the restaurant scenes as well?

5. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Demolition Man at the weekend (I know, but I like Sandra Bullock in those tight trousers!). Lots of times throughout the film they mention Pizza Hut, which apparently was the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars and is therefore the only restaurant in town. However, whilst occasional scenes show the Pizza Hut logo, the actors are clearly NOT saying Pizza Hut when they talk about it!!!

I want to know what they are REALLY saying! I don't recall this when I last say the film on VHS. Has anyone else noticed it? FYI, the DVD is R2, German, but I'm watching the English DD5.1 soundtrack.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey! I bought Demolition Man Jusy to See Sandra Bullock in those tight trousers.
    Glad to find I'am not alone.
    I have the R1 version, I've never noticed any lip-Flap, I'll check that one out tonite. :D

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right it was not Pizza Hut that survived the franchise war in Demolition Man it was Taco Bell.

I wonder why they have changed this for the DVD release, maybe it was sponsored by Pizza Hut!!!!

8. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian C....thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if it was a licensing issue on the German DVD release then? (the previous VHS copy I watched was a UK version...I'll try and dig it out tonight and check). All references to Taco Bell in teh restaurant scenes have been replaced with Pizza Hut ones, that's for sure.

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i supose they could say that ph had to diversify a bit . them being the only ones left . i would have thought that if anything was going to be left in the future mcdonalds would get my vote . it is nearly wiping everything els out as it is

i still can't see that sort of food being eaten in ph though :D