• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Say hello to the first person who Sky let cancel his subscription....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rousetafarian

Unbelievably Sky have a Retentions Department rule....

"Only one Sky box self-install/customer."

My 3yr old self-installed 1Tb failed yesterday either due to a PSU or HDD issue and is borked, after going through the rigmarole and hoops, price arguments etc I got through to Retentions who let me cancel as I requested a self-install and they wanted to charge me £69.00.

Apparently me fitting two co-axial cables and an ethernet cable can cause disk failure 34 months down the line

We reached an impasse, I cancelled, they don't seem really arsed.

Aaaaaaagh!

Last edited:

jonna

Distinguished Member
I read that as your 3 year old installed it :).
I rejoined Sky last November for the Christmas period, i used my old equipment and only found out via email that I was on a 12 month contract. You can't downgrade your package unless you phone them, which is a traumatic experience in itself.

Graham27

Distinguished Member
You're not the first. It would have happened to me if I hadn't been keen on an easy life and just paid up. Even though HotUKDeals and other similar websites make out it's a 'dead cert', it's actually not. Much like "Just quote the Sale of Goods Act", "They'll never go to court" and other similar theories, they're usually peddled by people basing their opinions on what they've read on the net!

At least you have a different angle now when you go back on to plead. Or you could always wait for an offer from them. Either way, hope you get it sorted!

rousetafarian

The point being I was prepared to stay,as I didn't want the hassle of sourcing an alternative provider and fully expecting them to roll over and not charge the £69.00 - They didn't.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
So now you are free to get yourself an Enigma 2/Linux based box and do it properly

aVdub

Banned
I would tell friends and family when I worked for Sky that if you threaten to cancel they would usually offer silly deals to keep you tied, but....... now and then they would just cancel and offer nothing.

That normally caused a few problems ha ha

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
give it 7-10 days they'll be on the phone offering you a ridiculous discount to stay, i'd put money on it!

That's what I did. Got free BB, half price line rental and 40% off my sub. Happy days ;)

rousetafarian

I would tell friends and family when I worked for Sky that if you threaten to cancel they would usually offer silly deals to keep you tied, but....... now and then they would just cancel and offer nothing.

That normally caused a few problems ha ha

Sky's loss not mine. I've already moved my BB and landline away from Sky so maybe it's no surprise tbh

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I would love to cancel sky and save a fortune every month but there is plenty of HD content to watch. PIty I only watch about 5% of it ie terrestrial channels 1-5 plus sport. I've been with them for yonks and have been tempted the threaten them with a cancellation but knowing my luck they would just say, "cheerio".

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not totally clear to me. You needed a new box and and install. Are you saying that Sky wanted to charge £xx you for the box and then an extra £69 for the install.

Or did they just want to charge you £69 to get you back up running.

If the latter then that is just their standard repair cost when you are out of warranty, not an install charge.

I think you could simply have bought a used box off here, wired it up and then paired it and Sky wouldn't have minded.

Cheers,

Nigel

rousetafarian

Hi Nigel, I wanted both a free replacement box and for me to install it. Something they couldn't accept commercially.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Never make a threat you're not prepared to follow through with :)

I'd see it as a blessing in disguise.....Sky seems like an utter waste to me.

THE_FORCE

Banned
I tried to get their latest router the same way.

Rang up and said my current one has gone tits up, and could they send me a replacement i.e the new super dooper router they asvertised.

I had some hard-arsed Scottish cow on the other end of the phone that wouldn't budge - she sent me out a replacement power supply for it and told me to try that, otherwise I'd have to buy the new router.

Bitch! Lol

D

Deleted member 63670

I've always found that when a box has broken down I just phone and after they want to charge then I ask to cancel my subs, they always go away and talk to whoever and as if by magic they come back and sort it for free, I currently have Sky as I got a big 12 month discount last summer, paying about £47 quid for 2 full subs, when my contract is up and they don't offer me the same deal then i'm off and will go back to using Linux boxes, quite tempted with a VU Duo 2, loved the original Duo, superb box.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
I would love to cancel sky and save a fortune every month but there is plenty of HD content to watch. PIty I only watch about 5% of it ie terrestrial channels 1-5 plus sport. I've been with them for yonks and have been tempted the threaten them with a cancellation but knowing my luck they would just say, "cheerio".

Then take no sky for a month and then join as a new customer in your wife / partners name.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Hi Nigel, I wanted both a free replacement box and for me to install it. Something they couldn't accept commercially.

Okay I see.

So just for clarity, it is not the self-install that they have issue with but that you wanted a free box out of warranty. The £69 is the standard repair cost for out of warranty boxes.

I reckon they'll let you do as many self-installs as you want - not just one as you suggest.

Cheers,

Nigel

rousetafarian

Okay I see.

So just for clarity, it is not the self-install that they have issue with but that you wanted a free box out of warranty.

I reckon they'll let you do as many self-installs as you want - not just one as you suggest.

Cheers,

Nigel

That's not what 'Michael' in Retentions stated yesterday. To reiterate, and I quote "you are only entitled to one self install which was in May 2011."

They wanted, one way or another to charge me £65.00 and supply for 'free' a lower capacity refurbished box with a 90 day warranty.

Feel free to call them and ask what their policy is, as I am now ordering from an alternative provider. I found it incredulous that I could be responsible for a 3yr old box to fail from HDD failure that I installed and happily used without it missing a beat.

Eric

Distinguished Member
I cancelled about 2 years ago. They did offer me something but I never wanted it and he just said 'ok'. We have used TalkTalk ever since (never watched the sky pap anyway! inc Sky Repeats, I mean Sky One!)

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I cancelled on the first try. Then left my answer machine on for the next month. Had about 20-30 cold calls that all rang off when the machine cut in. Then they gave up.

Job done :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
That's not what 'Michael' in Retentions stated yesterday. To reiterate, and I quote "you are only entitled to one self install which was in May 2011."

They wanted, one way or another to charge me £65.00 and supply for 'free' a lower capacity refurbished box with a 90 day warranty.

Feel free to call them and ask what their policy is, as I am now ordering from an alternative provider. I found it incredulous that I could be responsible for a 3yr old box to fail from HDD failure that I installed and happily used without it missing a beat.

Okay I hadn't picked up on you getting a 'lesser box'. But even so this is how I interpret it.

1 - To get your out of warranty broken box fixed by Sky is about £69. They don't actually fix it they just come out to your house, swap it over, yours then goes back, gets repaired and it ultimately used as a replacement when another customer has a problem.

2 - However, you pushed for a free box which you aren't entitled to, and being retentions Michael did his best to meet your request. What he could offer was a new box, a lesser spec than you currently have but you would have to pay the installation.

This is all down to you demanding Sky to provide something that you aren't entitled to, threatening them with closing your account. Even then MIchael tried to accomodate but could meet your requirements. So you left, which you are entitled to.

The 'self install' I think has got muddled. I can buy as many Sky Boxes off eBay, AVF, other supplies and install them myself. Sky would care one jot. What Sky were saying is that they weren't prepared to send you out a box in the post - presumably because they want the broken one back.

Cheers,

Nigel

rousetafarian

If they came to swap out my box, that I own they certainly wouldn't be taking it away with them to fettle and repurpose at a late date.

This would now equate to £65.00 + my broken box that still as a residual resale value

DevCode

I've just cancelled, was paying around £55 a month. Moved to now TV, have movies and entertainment pack (Atlantic, sky 1 watch and a few others) for £14 a month, syfy for £1.20 ish a month, quality is quite good for over broadband plus I still get most of my favourite american shows.

Just got a second roku box for the bedroom as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom